Memory Foam Mattress

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by kc8pny, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    We use a 2" memory foam topper on the stock mattress in our '99 Coleman. I pull the foam off the bed, though, and fold it atop the collapsed dinette, before dropping the top. That way, it doesn't impact the clearance for the lowered roof, and doesn't end up sitting compressed between trips.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Just food for thought, I watched my canvas today when I pushed in the beds, one went in perfectly , flat and even , the other got a bit caught. The bed still slid in easy , but the canvas bunched up by the end of the pup. It looked good from the outside. From now on I will make sure it's distributed across the bed and not bunched up, this could cause clearance issues if your close allready.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Oh, and I only saw that from the inside of the pup. On the outside both sides looked the same.

4. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    We got a 3” memory foam topper On an Amazon deal of the day for $75. It’s comfy but it grabs me and it can be a struggle to get out of bed because I sink in so much.

5. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    Tent camping still, but I would offer that my Coleman air mattress with Walmart egg-crate foam topper (1" to 2" thin) is super comfortable. You may be surprised how adding a thin egg-crate foam topper gains you all the comfort you need :)

6. AreWeThereYet?

AreWeThereYet? New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I saw this product recommended on a blog. Just bought it this weekend on sale for $40. I have a 2007 Fleetwood Bayside. The king size fits, hangs over a smidge into the kitchen area, but still closed that way. Will trim it later. Made a big sleep improvement for me.

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My old Jayco I owned I had no space between the roof and bed so could not use anything else. My current camper I do have some room but like to keep my bedding on so instead I just use my old tent camping sleeping mat under the bed and will eventually replace with the rubber fatigue mats. That alone made a huge improvement. I have a memory foam pillow I have to use for neck support however when it's cold out the pillow is as hard as bricks until my body heat warms it up and then I sink in too much for my liking then you can't really move much because the rest of the pillow is cold and hard. since I camp in the cold and sometimes without hookups my camper will be quite cold and think it would only be worse if I had a memory foam topper and a sleeping bag. I could be wrong because I'm only judging by the pillow I have. What I have done though is more than sufficient for my needs and still far more comfortable than sleeping on the hard ground in the tent. Never had any luck with the air mattresses as I always found them flat by morning.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Watch for their $29.99 any size sale and get a second one. Two together is wonderful. No more sore pressure points. Moose-dog is getting old and is very long and lanky, so his hips get very sore even laying on a cushion. He will spend all day on these without any problem.

AreWeThereYet? likes this.
  9. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    It really is hit or miss with air mattress's. I have a Klymit Insulated Static V air mattress that deflates while sleeping, have to puff air back in at least once through the night. After second deflation, I usually just get up.

The Klymit was highly rated, so I thought okay - great for when I am solo. Not fun waking to flat hard surface of tent bottom :(

Got a Coleman basic air mattress, inflate with a battery powered air pump. It was rated okay, but big enough to hold me and the kids in our sleeping bags. Inexpensive, I'll give it a shot. Last camping trip was in the Smokey's for 4 nights, only had to add a little air (not much) one night. Best air mattress I have owned :)

10. toyotaspeed90

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    We have a '99 Coachmen Clipper, has a Full on one side and "King" on the other (going with short Queen). The original mattresses were over 4", plus plastic wrapping, plus fabric. We did the "tissue box" test (ok, the Monster Energy drink box test) - which is about 6.5" and it cleared just fine.

Ordered a 6" memory foam mattress (4" foam, 1" memory foam) for the Full side as a test - no point to order 2 and find out it won't fit.

Put the mattress in yesterday to test, and it fit - there was a mild amount of "pushing down" to the latches (less than an inch, and we didn't take too much care how the canvas folded in) and it all fit.

The full mattress fit with some "tucking" - meaning it was about 1/2" or so too long (side to side) - so I think the only potential "clearance" issue is from both the hoop coming down with the canvas and the mattress is a bit tight.

Ordered a short queen for the other side, which is 1" narrower than the actual rails - so I am willing to bet it will fit far better.

Brand is Zinus.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Easiest way to trim it s with an electric carving knife, works great and leaves a smooth cut at the same time.

AreWeThereYet? likes this.