Mice-is this a new idea? an

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Dogs & Pup, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Dogs & Pup

Dogs & Pup New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Indiana
    As many of us are, I have been in full-blown mouse prevention mode, as in 240 Bounce sheets and 2 boxes of Fresh Cab after cleaning the bathroom and floors with Pine Sol. I chose Pine Sol after reading that Fresh Cab is made with fir (tree) oil. I figured that pine is a conifer too, so maybe...

As it turns out, other boards have posts about using Pine Sol to repel rodents. Some use it in containers in the area they want to keep mouse free, another suggestion I like is to mix it 50/50 with water and spray around the area that you are trying to keep clear. Pine -Sol’s website says that it is not harmful to pets, so that is a relief to me.

Here is my tentative plan: go to Goodwill and pick up a couple of glass baking dishes and put them in the Pup with Pine-Sol in them. Then mix up the spray and use it every couple of weeks until I can get her set up again.

Has anyone else tried this? Any thoughts? Bike ‘n Fish are you running to try this?

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

All I can say is that I have used just about every mouse prevention method there is and still have had mice damage on 3 different occasions. This year I cleaned with pine sol removed the mattress,cushions and bunk end canvas than put fresh cab in every compartment. Hopefully I will be able to add more fresh cab every other month until spring.

3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    One of the nicest beddings for pet rodents is shredded cedar (or pine if you are cheap). I don't think they mind conifers...
    :)

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Forget everything but the fresh cab.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm so thankful that I don't have to deal with this here in Florida. When we lived in WV, I owned a hard sided Apache, and just took out all the soft stuff. I don't think there is really any foolproof method of keeping mice out.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have owned boats longer than I have owned campers. I have always used moth balls and dryer sheets in my boats. I have never had a problem with mice in the stored boats.

Last year in the pup, I used peppermint oil laced cotton balls in a bowl and dryer sheets. I also threw in some shredded Irish Spring in various areas. No mice. I stayed with the dryer sheets and moth balls in the boat. No mice.

This year in the pup, I have mothballs, peppermint and dryer sheets. No Irish Spring since a co-worker found that a mouse was eating Irish Spring in his TT. The dryer sheets are on top of and under the mattresses. The moth balls and peppermint are in bowl on the floor. I have more confidence in the moth balls than anything else. I'll let you know how long it takes to get the smell of moth balls out of the mattresses next spring.[XX(]

I haven't the foggiest idea if the mice deterrents are working, or if I am just lucky or both.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    The only mouse deterrent that's actually worked for me is Fresh Cab. :) Dryer sheets just make mice more comfortable. :tongue:

Attached Files:

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    But what do you use to keep the gators out?

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

A 30-30. :wink:

highside pup, jnc and PopUpSteve like this.