Microwave Selection

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by KJD_0214, Apr 5, 2017.

1. KJD_0214

KJD_0214 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Looking to add a microwave to our Viking. Are certain ones better for camping than others? I dont want to have any power issues with it.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I installed a pretty big one in mine and it sets on top of the cabinets after we setup. When we are in travel mode I move it to the floor area...

[​IMG]
    Roy's Image

Turns out I can only use this unit when we have shore power connected. Just a tad too much wattage required to run from my 2KW Generator...

So when we are camping off grid like we mostly do I bring along one of those low wattage white faced manual controlled microwave units from WALMART...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Given that campground power can sometimes be unstable, I went with one with 2 knobs; power and timer. Then I didn't need to worry about re-setting the clock and having another light source at night.

4. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    This summer cheap microwaves will be on sale for the back to college crowd. That's a good time to get just a basic one. We've had ours for 11 years and it's still going strong...

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    My pup came with a microwave from the previous owner. It is one of the smaller dorm sized countertop ones. Works fine, and does not trip any breakers, even with the AC on. However, my pup has a dedicated 2 amp breaker for the AC circuit, and two 15 amp house breakers. We primarily use it for reheating leftovers on extended trips, although sometimes it may get used for other stuff. It rides in the upside down galley or under the dinette for travel.