Minivan TV in the Rockies

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Muller 5, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    [QUOTE="MNTCamper, post: 1252426, member: 60918/QUOTE]

Thank you for all that amazing info! I feel much better about it now. Why load up the pup? I thought a heavy trailer was more dangerous.

2. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    You want to balance the load. If you put all your stuff in the back of the van, and have the trailer tongue weight there too, your back of your van may sag/be overloaded. If you instead balance the load by putting some of the goods in the trailer, you will slightly increase the tongue weight, but you will significantly reduce the cargo weight within the van and the load on the rear axle. You want to have a good balance between the two.

By the way... if you find that once properly loaded that the rear of the van sags more than you would like, you can get airbags or Timbren SES bump stops that can reduce the sag. These will NOT increase the vehicle's load capacity, but will reduce sag and improve the ride if you are near the limits. The tow package on the vans includes different rear springs and shocks which perform a similar function.

Muller 5 likes this.
  3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I always wondered where they got all of the vehicles for their videos. Sounds like a great trade-off to me!