Minor (hopefully not major) repairs

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by roberthurwitz, Aug 29, 2017.

1. roberthurwitz

roberthurwitz New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    So my wife and I got a camper (2006 Starcraft Centennial 3608) that needs a little work. She has been browsing some sites and getting ideas for redoing floors, counter tops, curtains, and upholstery and we are excited to make this our own. I did however miss some wood rot on it before I purchased it which sucks, but it was a learning experience. We have a workshop to work on it in and most weekends free so I am ready to get started. I am not sure of the proper terminology so my google searching and looking on here was not able to provide many results. I have seen videos of people doing complete restorations down to and including painting the frame, so I am hopeful this is not impossible, just time consuming.

The issues:

1) There are some soft spots on the side walls of the roof in the corners. It does not go far back, or look bad, just a bit of caulk from the previous owner. When knocking on it, I do hear the sound change to a more solid knock the further i get from the corners.

2) The front of the roof where if bends down feels soft, but I cannot tell if this is normal. There are no cracks, discoloration or anything of that sort. It almost feels like this area is a bit hollow, but not the same as the bad wood.

3) This is the worst of it, and I am not sure how I missed this before getting it. The front driver side corner has a good bit of caulking and the roof retaining clip's screws seem to be not only not-original, but completely rusted. When towing it home, it actually popped out and the roof started shaking. I bungeed it up and got it in the workshop, but i was able to just wiggle the rusted remains of the clip out of the wall. Inside is wet, soft, flaky wood. This must be replaced. I have seen some videos of people taking the side of the PUP off and replacing wood, but since this is where the hot water heater is, I wonder if I could go inside and replace it from the inside out.

I am planning on getting it put up this Saturday afternoon, spending Sunday surveying the damage, and then on Monday hitting the store and starting some repairs. Does anyone have tips or resources that may help me in my endeavor?

IMG_9549.JPG IMG_9552.JPG IMG_9553.JPG IMG_9559.JPG

2. Mamie

Mamie New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Are you going to do a complete restore taking it down to the bare floor?

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I am betting it is gonna need a total rebuild to be solid

4. Mamie

Mamie New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I had planned on getting a travel trailer, but can't see putting that much money into one with health issues. Plus, trying to pull it and back and not being able to see behind me. I don't know what made me think of a pop-up, but it eliminates a lot of problems - it's easier to restore, I can use my rear-view mirror and I can park it in the backyard. I'm hoping to find one that doesn't need a lot of work where I can just paint the cabinets, lay vinyl and cover the cushions. But I know the only way I can remove the top is by using an electric winch. I don't have a garage, but I could use 2x4's or 4x4's with a beam to pull it up and then pull away from it and set the top on sawhorses with 2x4 braces. The winch would make it easy to flip the top over to do the ceiling.