Mobicool A40 + Quick disconnect

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by nizon, Apr 18, 2017.

1. nizon

nizon Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Like most PUPs, mine has a 3 way fridge. Unfortunately due to the size of this tiny fridge I found I was always bringing extra coolers for all the food. The annoying part of that is you have to bring extra ice and deal with a cooler full of water after a day or so (lame!).

So I decided to pick up the Mobicool A40: http://www.mobicool.com/en/product/a40/

It's basically the exact same thing as the fridge in a PUP. Powered by either AC, DC or Propane.

On propane or AC it takes a few hours to get cold and functions just as good as any PUP fridge. On DC it kinda sucks, again just like any PUP fridge. Don't run it on DC unless your vehicle is running.

It's a bit of a beast at around 40lbs empty, so moving it around with a full load kinda sucks. It's best if left in the same spot during your trip.

It burns around 1lb per day of propane, which again is about the same as a small PUP fridge.

So far I'm happy with it, but haven't used it in the summer yet, so we shall see how it performs. A friend of mine has one and has been happy with it.

Now for some mods...

One thing I immediately found incredibly annoying is that none of the cables or propane hose are detachable. The AC and DC cables wrap up nicely at the back of the cooler, but the propane hose is stiff and difficult to deal with.

Since my PUP has an external propane quick-disconnect outlet I decided to utilize that. It's on the low pressure side of the propane regulator, so it will do just fine in feeding the cooler.

I purchased a few QD fittings and a 12' hose for around $70CAD at a local fittings supplier.

The modding was as simple as screwing on the new fittings and plugging in the cooler.

[​IMG]

I also added a fitting to the hose the came with the cooler:
    [​IMG]

I can connect this guy to a 1lb tank or with the appropriate adapters it can be connected to any other propane tank.

Someone needs to tell mobicool to include QD fittings with these things.

Anyway, I hope this review/mod is helpful to someone.

2. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Where'd you buy the Mobicool?

3. nizon

nizon Member

Sep 11, 2015
    My local Canadian Tire, I'm not sure what US retailers carry them.