Mold/mildew cleaning, before/after (with pics)!

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by SirLancelot, May 1, 2012.

1. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Someone posted a link to the MSDS for it. The main ingredient is sodium hypochlorite 6.25%. That is bleach. But, you do water it down quite a bit.

What does this mean for the canvas/vinyl that you would clean with it? What are the implications? Does it weaken the fabric? Does it simply remove the waterproof quality?

2. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    You're right to be concerned.

I'd say it means you'd better be careful with it, follow the dilution instructions, and try other, less aggressive products first. I don't think the waterproofness of vinyl would be affected, but sidewall materials may be degraded enough that a waterproof treatment is required.

I'll add to the call for user experiences with regard to waterproofness.

3. TheCrowleys

TheCrowleys New Member

May 21, 2012
    This product definitely has bleach as a main ingredient. I have chemical burned sinuses, red eyes, and a bleached out tshirt to prove it. On a positive note, I have a super-clean, previously mildew stained PUP!!! Now to let it air dry, waterproof the canvas windows, and put vinyl protectant on the sparkling white top!!!

4. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Sorry to read that your first post includes a hazmat exposure, but welcome to the Portal! [:)C]

5. SirLancelot

SirLancelot New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I woke up to rain 2 days after I cleaned the interior and it didn't leak a drop. Personally I imagine if the bleach in it did affect the waterproofing it would take more than 1 or 2 days to do so, but I've since taken apart most of the canvas so I can fix the ceiling. Thanks to Seattle's absolutely hideous weather I haven't been able to get it all assembled yet. I'll report back when I do. All that aside though, I still plan on applying some waterproofing to it. It is 23 years old, after all.

Ultimately though, like someone else already said, what matters most to me is that my trailer which used to be unusable is now very very VERY usable and CLEAN.

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Washington, PA
    My Home Depot does not carry the 30 Second Cleaner. I picked up some at Ace Hardware. Directions say to hose off, how did you get the inside hosed off?

7. Debcom

Debcom New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Northern Ontario
    Hello, I read that you sponged off the excess product, but did you rinse it off ? Instructions say to rinse it off...was thinking of trying this based on your great results and damp sponge over top