Mother Neff SP

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Roy and Janet Bowman, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

Jun 21, 2008
    Looking for any info about sites. I have a conference in Killeen so we thought we'd camp there in mid-July.

2. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    If you have a conference there, then I guess you don't have much choice in location... lol. I camped there a year ago, but I don't really recommend it. At the time, there were lots of downed trees and the ones still standing were eerily creaking. I was a little afraid we'd get crushed. The trail I remember started off pretty ugly through the grass, but it got better as you hiked toward the rock tower, the cave, and the watering hole.

3. Roy and Janet Bowman

Jun 21, 2008
    OK. ::sigh:: I was hoping it was a hidden gem. But we'll get to check it off our "every state park in Texas" list.

4. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

Dec 5, 2011
    Its grown a bit ... A few years ago belton lake flooded and destroyed the park .... If your going to Killeen look up belton lake parks ... Westcliff is the closest ... But its a corps of engineers park not a Texas park ..... Mother Neff is a long way from killeen. The park just recently started new campgrounds at the end of the driving loop in the park, they were also given land that doubled their size, I agree the rv park is a bit small call ahead and get a spot .... There is only six rv spots. It is the first park in Texas too, I would try mother Neff first it is a cool park ... .. try for spot five or six ..... I think they're the best and closest to the bathrooms

5. Roy and Janet Bowman

Jun 21, 2008
    :) Thanks for the info.

6. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    It's not totally horrible - we visited to check it off our "every state park in TX" list too. It wasn't unbearable, but it's one we won't likely return to. We drove in to Waco and visited the Texas Ranger Museum. Next time I'm in Waco, I want to also visit the Waco Mammoth Site. Hiking was allright when we were there last Easter, but I don't know about hiking in July.

Here's our site. The picnic table & grill was oddly placed on the wrong side of the camper. And I didn't include the downed trees in the photo.

[​IMG]

Here's a couple pictures of the guys on a trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And climbing the rock tower was neat.

[​IMG]

... But this is what I meant about downed trees everywhere. This was on a trail, but they were piled in the campsites at the time too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I went a little photo crazy, but maybe that helps to manage your expectations.

7. JETent

JETent JT

Jul 7, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    I was wondering about this park. Thanks for the info.

Later,
    JT

8. Roy and Janet Bowman

Jun 21, 2008
    So, we came, we saw, we checked it off the list!

Really, it's a sweet little park but there is not a lot to do. The CCC constructions are interesting for a moment. The trails were too steep for me but DH went down to the cave and wash pond. He was perfectly happy laying in his new hammock and reading. I went to my meeting and all was well.

Campsites 5 and 6 are huge. #1 thru 4 are more grouped together. All have lots of shade. Two were occupied Friday night (including us) and five on Saturday night. It's probably 10 minutes to ice/foodstuffs.

There was no one in the other campsite areas. Not surprising--probably 102 degrees on Saturday.

9. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I said I wouldn't go back, but I did. We went last weekend to visit Waco Mammoth Site. The mammoth fossils are really neat if you're into that - they are in situ (still in the ground) so you can actually see the dig site with a giant shelter and walkway over it. Google it for more info.

I liked Mother Neff more this time. Still not a lot to do, but beautiful weather sure makes a difference. We ended up in the exact same site (#5) next to the bathrooms with grill and table on the back side of the camper. There was a wedding on Saturday and some other event on Sunday, so lots of visitors in the park and the staff did not refill the toilet paper or paper towels. Fortunately, I brought my own. Some of the other sites are quite small and crammed, and other sites are huge - odd planning. Still some downed trees, but it's looking a little nicer at the moment. We enjoyed our weekend, but I still find it odd that the oldest state park in Texas is one of the least developed.

10. Turfit

Turfit New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Central Texas
    They have built a new campground that has concrete pads at each site that looks very level, got a new visitor center. They have upgraded a lot. The old camp ground is blocked off and currently not in use and they are still planning to build additional trails in the new area of the park. Again, not a lot to do, trails are short, but good weekend trip to relax at.