Moving pup with dolly

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by KatieLynn, May 31, 2017.

1. KatieLynn

KatieLynn New Member

May 31, 2017
    We just purchased our first pup. We attempted to move/push the camper into our relatively flat driveway/garage using a dolly. It was nearly impossible (my husband and I are in our 30's and relatively good physical shape). My suspicion is the brakes are engaged. Any suggestions? Would moving a 3200lb / 380lb tongue weight really be nearly impossible to move using a dolly? We have a 2015 Flagstaff HW27KS... not sure it this not is needed to help answer the question.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I use to see some of the dealers using an older riding lawn mower to move things with.

Here is photo on line of someone using a Sears LT1000 haha... Maybe you all can rig one of these up to help... Most of us all have a riding lawn mower around... Might be better to mount the hitch on the front of the lawn mower to make spotting it easier...

[​IMG]
    Google IMage

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

KatieLynn likes this.
  3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I have a trailer dolly I use to move mine sometimes. It's pretty easy to move. Normally I just move it without it though. Can you move it without the dolly? Perhaps check the emergency break on the tounge. One time mine pulled out on accident and I couldn't move the trailer at all.

KatieLynn likes this.
  4. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Maybe you have accidentally pulled the break-away switch plunger. By now the battery should be run down so you should be able to move it hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

KatieLynn likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have a Flagstaff 208 with a base weight of around 1750 lbs and a 220 tongue weight. I also use a dolly. I struggle a bit when moving it by myself but am able to do it. It is MUCH easier when the DW helps. We are in our mid 50's in pretty good shape. I have a slight incline going into my garage and I do not even try to get the PUP over that by myself. I use the tow vehicle.

I find that the dolly is most handy when having to turn the PUP in tight spaces but not nearly as functional when trying to push or pull it.

High Walls are heavy. So, I would say, at 3200 lbs, that yours would be a bit of a struggle with two, but shouldn't be nearly impossible. I would think that if the brakes were engaged, it WOULD be impossible.

If you have someplace that has a slight incline or decline, and the camper doesn't want to roll on its own, then you most likely have sticky brakes. But I'm thinking it's just the weight of the PUP that is the struggle.

Edit: Or you could jack up the camper and give the wheels a spin!

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    KatieLynn and bob barnes like this.
  6. ghmpm

ghmpm New Member

May 23, 2015
    Just do not get a trailer dolly at Harbor Freight! My Fleetwood E-1 basically KILLED mine! Not nearly heavy enough to move my popup, sigh...

KatieLynn likes this.
  7. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a 2017 Jay sport 8sd... I'm guessing it's around 2000lbs now fully loaded ~ 250 - 300lbs tongue. We have to push it into a 9' wide garage (with awning, a little tight) that is very slightly uphill. I have no problem doing it myself (24 y/o, out of shape) and with the lady (also the same age) it's easy. I will add we have the wheel up front on the post, which helps 100% compared to our older lighter camper that had a wheel on the outside of the a-frame (trailer frame) setup. I for sure know we don't have our brakes engaged.

KatieLynn likes this.
  8. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    I move my E1 (~3k lbs) using a dolly all the time. I'm 39 and in ok physical condition. I move it up a slight incline when putting it back in the garage while DW is on chock duty and really don't have to push all that hard.

I'd imagine it kind of depends on the dolly. I will say that I find mine MUCH easier to move if I pick up on the handle of the dolly just a bit (just enough to get it off the ground - not enough to let the tongue of the camper come crashing to the ground) and get the swivel wheel of the dolly off the ground (so that the weight of the camper is distributed across the two main wheels of the dolly).

KatieLynn likes this.
  9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    3200lbs is the weight of a small car... So yeah could be hard to move around...

KatieLynn likes this.
  10. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Check out the Trailer Valet. It works great for our Flagstaff 206STSE. Weight isn't the only consideration. Maneuverability in tight spaces is also a factor, and Trailer Valet is fantastic for that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    KatieLynn likes this.
  11. KatieLynn

KatieLynn New Member

May 31, 2017
    Thanks for the response. We did some research after having issues and stumbled across this... it's good to hear you are happy with it! We may have to purchase one!

12. KatieLynn

KatieLynn New Member

May 31, 2017
    We unfortunately read this a few days too late... we bought one from there

13. KatieLynn

KatieLynn New Member

May 31, 2017

14. KatieLynn

KatieLynn New Member

May 31, 2017
    So if the brakes were somehow stuck/engaged when the battery died they would release?

15. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    NO,,,, Not that way... When the breakaway chain is pulled it will will pull a plunger "KEY" out of the assy which will engage 12VDC power from your battery to the electric brakes. This will engage your electric brakes.

Each electric brake you have (two on a single axle - four on a dual axle) will draw 3AMPs DC current each and this start draining your battery rather fast. Once the battery is dead then the brakes will not be engaged anymore...

Of course this may kill your battery as you really don't ever want to drain it down below 12.0VDC which is the 50% charge state. Continuing doing this will eventually ruin your battery...

Your trailer most likely only has a single axle so your drain from the electric brakes will be 6 AMPS DC current. The battery will only last a few hours doing this...

Did you actually pull the emergency break away switch... If so you need to replace it right away back into the slot on the break-away switch. This will be a stiff thing to do but it will go back into place. The KEY is keyed by the way -only fits the slot in one direction...

Roy ken
    [​IMG]

16. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I am totally confused now what your situation is... Too many different answers and too many comments....

Are you still having problems with your POPUP

I actually don't even remember the problem now haha

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]