Moving spare tire to tounge.

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Cheesehead RV, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Cheesehead RV

Cheesehead RV New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Hi all.
    In an attempt to save some garage space, I was looking at moving the spare tire on our Aliner Classic. It is currently mounted to the bumper,and I would like to possibly see if it could be mounted under the tounge frame. Our classic has the off-road package so we have extra clearance. We currently tow with a Nissan Titan.
    If anyone has any info regarding the possibility of this it would be appreciated.
    Sorry if this was already been posted somewhere but I couldn't seem to find it.
    Thanks!

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Mounting it under the tongue should be no problem. I have a open trailer with the tire mounted under the front floor using a piece of all thread. My TT came with a tire mount under the front. It is a full size 15" tire, too. I have no clearance problems with either.

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You might even be able to do it with the same bracket that is currently on the bumper. It will increase the tongue weight by approximately 100 pounds.

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We did it on our 2013 Aliner Classic to make room for a rear luggage rack. We mounted the tire on the side of the tongue in the vertical position with the same bracket, but needed different square-end U-bolts. Transfers about 50 pounds from the back bumper to the tongue. Works great, and is easily reversible should we ever want to do so.

5. Cheesehead RV

Cheesehead RV New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Might look into it if it ever warms up here.

6. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I was thinking about moving the spare under the trailer since I don't do off road. Do they make a winch for bottom mount spare tire?

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You could get one from Ford that is how they mount the spare on their pickup trucks.

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
  9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Item 1, called a spare tire carrier. Mounts to underbody and you crank it up and down. This is from a Silverado; however, I would bet Ford/Chrysler are the same and most likely the same part made by a third party manufacture. Price is $203.
    [​IMG]