Moving to The Dark Side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by CGChief, Nov 18, 2018.

1. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

I had thought of that, but I don't believe there are any differences. Just the regular options that the manufacturer offers.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Takamine said:
    If you're moving to central Texas, make sure the A/C unit is powerful enough to handle the heat. Units sold in Virginia may have smaller A/C units than you would need for Texas.

Some travel trailers can optionally be ordered with a larger 15,000 BTU A/C rather than a standard size 13,500 BTU unit, large models can often be ordered with two A/C units but that generally requires an upgrade from 30 amp main service to 50 amp. Even with a smaller lot model trailer that may have a 13,500 BTU unit you can always request at the time of purchase that the dealer swap it out for a larger 15,000 BTU version.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    The 2018 Aliner Scout came with a 5000 BTU AC as the only option. It needs to be twice that size. The people designing / building the Aliners must not camp in them.

4. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

I have seen where some models have the option for a more powerA/C. But, for the most part, the ones I’ve looked at on dealer sites don’t have the bigger A/C and I am generally not looking at anything large enough to have a second A/C offered by the manufacturer.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Our 13,500 BTU Ducted unit works just fine down here. And we probably averaged close to 90 degrees plus all summer not to mention the 95-100% humidity. Give it time to cool down and you’ll be fine.

Takamine likes this.
  6. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

Making arrangements for a Prowler 268P RBS. It has the larger 15K BTU A/C installed. A bit heavier than I initially wanted, but it will keep the Admiral happy and it's within what I fell comfortable with towing in the Titan.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Congratulations! I really like that floor plan... you will really appreciate the large rear bath!

8. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Jun 5, 2018
    I may have missed it, but what is the main reason of selling your new PUP and going to the TT. We bought the same exact model 18 Rockwood 2280ESP. My wife and I love it. We did opt to go with the indoor shower/toilet and also had a 15k BTU AC installed as well. We used it 5 times during the late summer and early fall. We didn't take delivery till the end of June.

First time setting up, it took us over an hour as we were popping our cherries. By the fall trip, I had it set up in under 30 minutes. AFter that first set up I was thinking, do I want to do this everytime, but learned a lot of shortcuts and time savings strategies.

I really thought hard about a TT as well when we decided on the new PUP. I think the deciding factor was easier to tow and the second was I am able to squeeze the PUP in the garage for a long winters nap. So can't wait till spring to get out again.

Please keep us updated on what you get and what kind of trade you get on your PUP. I am curious. There is an RV show where I live next month and I am sure there will be plenty of new TT's there where I may be swayed to the darkside....lol

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Not speaking for the OP, but our switch was predicated on longer destination travelling. The "Over 8 hours away" spots. We loved the little pup, but the thought of spending that "30 plus minutes" of setup in order to catch 6 hours of sleep and hit the road again, just didn't sound as appealing. Course, we never got it down to 30 minutes anyway, but always seemed to be caught in the rain, lol. Oh, that's another thing; setting up a TT for overnight in the rain is as simple as pulling the step out and going inside to sleep. That's basically "no minutes".

Couple that with the added ease of having all your cooking/eating utensils accessible and ready to use. No "lifting up the cushions" to gain access to foodstuffs, clothes, whatever, and the much needed additional storage capacity and it was an easy choice for the DW and I.

10. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

The biggest reason we are making the move is that the wife said to do it.

Actually, the Rockwood was our second popup. I knew what we were getting into, but I hadn't realized how old and lazy I have gotten. There were plenty of times that we could have gotten away for a day or two, but I didn't want to set up in the rain, extreme heat or cold. With a TT I feel that I'll be more willing to do the short stay trips.

There is also the thought of longer distance, multiple destination trips. That is not something I would do in a popup as I fee that we would have to stay for at least 2 nights in a place to make it worth my time and effort.

Add moving to central Texas into the mix where there is no need to Winterize and put a trailer away due to the short "Winter" season (the two weeks of actual winter can get bitterly cold).

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Yeah, I'd say you missed it ;) - the OP said in his opening post ...
    "I have just received orders from my Commanding Officer (The Wife - a.k.a. The Admiral),
    We are going to be selling our new popup and getting a travel trailer."

Not much else to say. [LOL]

12. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

The only thing that bothers me about moving to a Travel Trailer now is that it will have to stay in the driveway or beside the house on the lawn. Neither is ideal for selling the house, but my options are somewhat limited. Storage lot the local base is waitlisted.

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    That is about where I am. I would jump at the opportunity to get a TT, but financially we just can't quite make it work quite yet. I was hopeful for the spring but I really don't see that happening this year, so I will soldier on with the pup for another year. For me my DW has very little interest in using the pup. It is a lot of work to get it packed before a trip, then unpacked when we get back, and we are not quick at getting it set up at the campsite either. Same goes for taking it down, and if there is hot weather (often here in TX) or rain (ditto these days) then it really sucks. My knees don't like squatting under the bunks as much these days as I used to do, and quite frankly I feel guilty taking it out solo. DW is open to using a TT for family trips, and I think we would use it together once our son goes off to college in a couple years. Quite frankly if a TT is the way to get my DW out on a trip then I am all for it. Unfortunately we found one floor plan that we absolutely love, but it is a newer one with Forest River, so not something we can easily find used for cheap.

14. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

UPDATE: The dealer (which I have nothing but good to say about so far) is prepping the trailer, installing the ladder and ordering the equalizer hitch.

I mentioned that I was going to add some airbags to the rear and the dealer said to ship them to him and he would install them for free.
    I also told him that we were going out of town right after we get the trailer, but not taking it with us. He told me he would store it for a few weeks for no charge inside his locked fence.

emoney, kitphantom and neighbormike like this.