MS Buccaneer State Park

Discussion in 'Mississippi' started by fiddlingdoc, Mar 19, 2011.

1. fiddlingdoc

fiddlingdoc Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Headed over this afternoon to view the supermoon over the Gulf of Mexico. I'll check out the facilities and see how they are coming along in the rebuilding process. I don't suppose anyone else will be there, eh?

Bob

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    We were looking at Buccaneer as a possible "local" destination.

Let us know how it is coming along with the post hurricane rebuilding.

3. fiddlingdoc

fiddlingdoc Member

Sep 16, 2010
    We had a pleasant time there. They now have one of the camping loops fully open, and "primitive" camping along the seawall (across the highway from the seawall, actually. The waterslide is not operational, and they expect to just tear it down later this year.
    The "primitive" section is a treeless, grass parking area, and it is considered primitive because there are only water and electrical hookups, no sewer. That area is also $35/night as opposed to $24 for the loop. We preferred it though, because it was uncrowded and had the view of the water.
    The loop was almost full, with the attendant noise, kids, stereos, etc. The primitive used to be the overflow area, and had a couple of 5th wheelers, 3 motorhomes, our camper, and a couple of tents in an area the size of a football field or two. The campground attendants say that it is rarely crowded, only on major holidays.

Bob

4. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I just got back from a long weekend here. The waterslide, water park, and campground pool are still not finished.

There was a group of us there and our sites 77, 75, 26, and 24 all formed a circular inner area for common gatherings. The sites were fairly large and easy to back into. They were also fairly level. The picnic tables were nice but too thick to use table cloth clips on. Each site had a grill but no fire ring. The bath houses are fairly new and clean for the most part. It was cleaned Saturday morning but still had not been touched again when I left Monday around 11. The shower heads in the showers are less than ideal but are sufficient.

There are not very many trees in the front loops but the back loops have plenty. The only drawback of the back sites are that they are so close to the train tracks that the trains feel as though they are rolling through your camper, according to others that stayed there.

The beach is a short drive or bike ride away. It is not the best beach and the water stays only knee deep for quite a ways. It is great for little ones as it is calm and shallow. My daughter found the skeleton of a sting ray tail. I am told that sting rays are known to nest here at times.

Due to the lack of shade, my camper only got mildly cool during the day. I will not stay here again until the pool opens up. Almost 7 years since Katrina, you think they could have opened the pool back up. I also have a problem with heat, so prefer cooler weather.

Overall, I think $24 a night is a bit much for this place, at least until the pool is finished and the beach is improved.

5. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    FYI Everybody - the grand (re)opening for the water park at Buccaneer State Park was scheduled for today...

We are booked for our first trip there next month. [:D]

6. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    We'll be there on the 4th of July weekend (July 4th - 7th).

7. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Sorry we're gonna miss you. We're going two weeks later... gonna be there July 18-21. It will be our first time there. Post up any advice, hints, or things we need to know after you go!

Have a great time!

8. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Our July 4th trip went well. All except the rain, that is.

You can tell the park is still coming back after hurricane damage.
    • The water park is now open although it is a bit expensive for a couple slides and the wave pool.
    • The regular swimming pool hasn't opened yet, but it looks to be very near completion.
    • Not a lot of shade in the main loops. Better have your PUG. There are some shady loops, however in the back areas.
    • The site we stayed on was paved and fairly level left to right. There was a slight slope toward the street.
    • We decided that the site we stayed on (#48) wasn't a really good one for PUP camping. It had street lights (booger lights) on both sides; so, even with the PUGs and Reflectix in the bunk windows, there was a lot of light in the PUP at night.
    • The bath houses were nice and clean; but, not air conditioned. There were two of them very near our campsight (and all the sights in the front 3 loops.
    • If you like to fish, the beach is within easy walking distance from the campground.

Our overall assessment is that we'll probably go back there some time. If it hadn't been a rainy and holiday weekend, it would have been a much nicer stay. Once the campground pool opens, it'll be a plus too.

9. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    We are back from our Jul 18-21 trip to Buccaneer. I won't repeat most of the same observations as CoolDad, but I will note a few things:

We were in campsite #2. While this site was close to the restrooms / showers, there was an ungainly oak tree on this site threatening to swallow the picnic table. It really needed to be trimmed down low for the table to be usable.

Campsites 1,2, and 3 have a great view of everyone entering and leaving the campground. As such, they also have no privacy. If privacy is your thing, you would be better suited to get sites on the back of the front 3 loops.

The camper pads are asphalt instead of concrete. When taking down yesterday, I noticed that my stabilizers had actually dented the asphalt in a little bit. The pool and the camp store / laundry were still not yet open.

We really enjoyed the park overall. Ice was for sale at the entrance to the campground (about 30 yds from our camper) and the kids had a blast at the water park. The park was completely packed this weekend, with half a dozen or so campers set up in the overflow lot (in front of the water park). The bathrooms, while not air-conditioned, had big air circulating fans and were very big and clean. Sites were tighter together than I am used to, and not as much shade/privacy as I am used to at other state parks, but with a water park and a beach so close, as well as the very nice playground, this is a very nice (and very NEW) facility.

10. Crysalin

Crysalin New Member

May 15, 2017
    Pensacola, FL
    Here is my overview of the park. I stayed this past weekend. I wish I had read more facebook reviews before booking.

I gave it 3 stars....

Not horrible, not perfect, only ok. May go back.

We arrived on a Friday scheduled for site 199. Nothing in the reservation system said this site didn't have a table or grill. It was in the back lot and was super crowded. I had to stop every 10 feet to avoid running over a child on a bike (not paying attention) or a loose dog. Camp staff didn't seem to care. When I got to my site, it was flooded. I understand if there is a small amount of rain, but it was 2 inches deep around the entire site. We started to set up when we decided it was pointless and didn't want to stay. While looking for the washroom, there were areas set up with karaoke machines, loud music, and so many lights. We left for dinner since we didn't have anywhere to set up our stuff.

As we left, we stopped at the front office and requested to be moved. We were happily moved to site 60. We packed up our camper and moved, again trying to avoid the herds of kids and pets (off lead). Much better site. Quiet neighbors, asphalt pad (use pads), dry, with a table and grill. All sites have sewer, water, and power. No fire rings at all. You can have a fire, but you have to clean it up after.

The remainder of our three day trip was good. It was quiet at night with no disturbance from the other guests. The only annoyance was the train at all hours of the day and night that sounded like a jet plane behind us.

Bathrooms were ok, clean and usable. Showers were hot, but horrible showheads. They need to be cleaned better. The walls of the showers were slimey and could use an occasional scrub down.

Didn't use the campground pool so can't say anything. Sad it was closed at 6pm every day tho.

We went to the water park on two of the days. It is small. A wave pool, two slides, and a kid's 6" splash pool. The concrete is super hot. Way over chlorinated, but understandable with lots of kids. No lines. A busy day at the park is a joke if you are use to bigger parks. Expect to spend $20 per person and no outside food or drink. But you can leave and come back at any point each day. If you are staying and plan to go for more than 2 days, just get an annual pass for $50 a person. Park food was meh. Bring food to your car and just picnic at the car and save money.

We did enjoy the disc golf course. The entire course is a par 3 (some should be a 4), but it was well maintained and clean. The course was tricky to find the next hole, but they try to help with signs at the start of each hole to show the pin and the next starting point. Had fun with the kids playing between water park trips.

The nature trail is small. Took maybe 15 minutes total to walk it all. Needs to be cleaned up as it was hard to walk through with small paths and lots of mud.

Staff was ok, but young. Both the campground and the waterpark appear to be run by high school/college kids. It wasn't horrible, but felt there were no true adults around.

Since electric golf carts are allowed, they are everywhere. I mean all over the place. Packed full of kids and people. Many teens were driving them and didn't know what they were doing. A few times they almost hit us walking or when we were driving our van. If they are going to have rules about it, it needs to be enforced.

The grounds are also open after hours. Usually parks have gate codes for after hours.. Nope, just drive right in. Thefts just waiting to happen. Wasn't thrilled about that. Valuables stayed in the car and locked.

Overall it wasn't horrible after we moved sites. It was dead empty on Sunday afternoon, which made it even more enjoyable.

Long story short, if you go, plan to get a spot below #150. Anything above that is the party zone and seems to flood a lot.