Mt. Pettijean S.P.

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by Winston, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Winston

Winston New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Another one of our favorites. Absolutely beautiful up there. Lots of park programs and guided hikes to partake in. Nice restaurant on site for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

2. froggie

froggie New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    How are they about dogs?

3. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    That was one of my grandparents' favorite Sunday drives from North Little Rock up to Pettijean. I remember how beautiful it was and how we stopped along the way at a mountain spring to get bottle of fresh water. Didn't have that iron taste either!

4. Winston

Winston New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    All Arkansas State Park camp grounds are dog friendly. However, dogs are not allowed in the cabins.

They have the usual leash and pick up the poop rules that most parks have.

5. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    We spent 5 days there in 2011. Pettitjean was modern, clean, well maintained, well staffed by people who care, very scenic. I could go on and on....... We made a day trip over to Mt. Magazine and watched the hang gliders launch just a few feet from us and ride the thermals all afternoon. AR. has great state parks!

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    We've lived in Arkansas just over a year but have managed to make it to Petit Jean. It and Devil's Den just back up the road are some great places to visit. We're looking at mining for diamonds later this fall at Crater of Diamonds...hope to retire shortly thereafter.

7. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Up until August I went to Arkansas frequently on business for a number of years. This spring I had a day of 'waiting for paint to dry' on my project in Arkansas, so went to Petit Jean. I hiked down to the falls, followed the canyon, and made a circuit hike that included the natural bridge and devil's den. About an hour before getting back to the car dd texted me to say it was snowing in MD. I texted back that I was looking off the edge of a cliff and was in my shirt sleeves! Beautiful place.

8. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Petit Jean is very dog friendly. There are a even a couple of "dog friendly" cabins there now. I love the park and the trails are great. We go there at least once a year.

9. CampQuinn

CampQuinn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I just realized that I never left a review for when we camped at Petite Jean. We had campsite #42 and it was nice because there is a large open grassy area behind you and the adjacent campsites are not very close. There is a bicyle/walking path that runs next to the site. There is also a small creek that run next to the Tanyard Springs Road so our puppy would go play in that for a bit. As I remember, the campsite was not necessarily un-level, but the asphalt for the pad was very bump. One of our stabilizers would not even touch the ground! Had to put some wood under that one! There was also a large flat rock that is where the awning goes. If I were to go back, I would probably find a different site. We camped here during the week so we pretty much had the whole campground loop to ourselves. I think there might have been 3 other campers there. I did notice that across the main road is the area for the larger RV's and it was pretty full unlike the "uncool" pop up/tent side we were on. LOL!

As for the restrooms and shower house, both were the standard clean. The showers were a set up a bit weird. There was 2 or 3 I believe and one had the changing area built in, and one the changing area was outside of the shower. The shower curtains were not quite long enough to cover the entire opening so watch yourself! LOL

The park is beautiful! There are so many trails to hike and places to see. There are also several great overlooks. For more information and pictures on the hiking aspect, here is a link to my blog. http://plannedspontaneityhiking.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/petit-jean-state-park-arkansas/

All in all, a great park. I would camp here again.

10. froggie

froggie New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    We stayed in B-43 over Thanksgiving. Really large site. We did get street noise from the road behind us, just over the little creek. C loop looked more shaded and private. I think I would prefer sites in that loop during the summer months.

Great place! Unbelievably beautiful trails. I recommend a hiking stick for at least the waterfall trail. It was tough on the trek out. Look for Ranger B.T. Jones. He took us on an interpretive hike on the Seven Hollows Trail. My six year old grandson wanted to go in caves, and Mr. Jones took us off-trail into some really neat places.

We ate lunch at the lodge on Sunday. Really good. Also, we visited the Amish fudge place down the road. Good stuff there.

I love this place!

11. Dogs are welcome. Our Sadie enjoyed this park! (no dogs inside lodge)

12. Be sure to check out La Villa restaurant in Russellville, all time best Italian restaurant! *****

Youtube of Petit Jean State Park campsites:

Petit Jean park was well worth the drive. Great park, bathroom/showers so-so, we were in the more "primitive" campground. Others were more for RVs, golf course like setting, no thanks. We spent a lot of time checking out other nearby state parks, Dardanelle, Mt. Nebo (do NOT try to bring pup up that hill!), and be sure to check out Pig Tail! https://roadtrippers.com/trips/14617028
    Trees were amazing, so tall overhead, and with a carpet of pine needles.
    20151028_093317.jpg
    Lookout on way into park:
    20151029_153712.jpg
    Officing in the lodge:
    20151029_122019.jpg
    On the way out, our site was behind van in the distance. Late October was great time to visit, good weather, and not crowded. Perfect!
    20151101_110804.jpg