My bucket list / eclipse trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Garland, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Garland

Garland New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Almonte ON
    Well, back after three weeks on the road, and it was totally worth it! Some highlights:

1) All the warnings about gridlock in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Jackson were overblown. Granted we did get on the road at 4:30AM to get to Elk flats before 6AM and good thing too, because most of Yellowstone had the same idea, but we got to the site and it was only half filled when we got there. A beautiful location, and the park had placed 2 porta-potties there. We set up a canopy, made breakfast while watching dawn break. Saw wild horses and buffalo, met people from Japan, Austria, the UK, and China. Watched an awe-inspiring eclipse under perfect clear blue sky conditions. Drove back under easy traffic conditions. A perfect day.

2) I have much greater respect for KOAs. They easily had the best shower and washrooms facilities.

3) Indiana Dunes was great. I recommend it to anyone. by far the best beach, great hikes, nice nature center. An excellent first camp.

4) For atmosphere, you can't beat watching "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" outdoors while a thunderstorm brews behind Devils Tower at the Devils Tower KOA.

5) Worst campsite? Cedar Pass in the Badlands. Nothing else comes close. You literally park on the side of the road in this loop. Had to check for traffic when exiting the trailer. Beautiful sunset though.

I'll post some pictures soon. Still getting back to normal.

2. Chloe

Chloe Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to the pics. How was Hiawatha? Assuming that's the one outside of Sault Ste. Marie? I grew up there and went to that park once as a kid. I don't really remember it, just have a campfire pic.

I see you're not far from Ottawa. Have only been to Fitzroy park over there. Do you have any recommendations for places to camp in that area?

3. Garland

Garland New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Almonte ON
    Yes we stayed in Little Bay De Noc near Rapid River. Nice woods, great privacy. Lot like Ontario camps.

If you are willing to drive for a couple of hours from Ottawa, then I highly recommend Charleston Lake in the fall. Bon Echo is really good as well. For a little campground, try Lake St. Peter.