My DIY 2 x 4 bike rack for 5 bikes....used 3 weeks and 5,000 miles so far

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by mtbdudex, Aug 7, 2014.

1. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Decided at last minute to take our bikes on our big 3 week camping trip.
    I did no web research, rather just bought 5 bike fork mounts, had existing 2 x 4's and did a quick build.

First simulation:
    Take board, put bikes on it, decided needed to angle the fork mounts so 5 could fit
    [​IMG]

This is what I ended up with.
    full 2 x 4 on top, 5 cut 2 x 4 below thinking was give some area to wrap on for hold down/stabilize.
    I put felt pads below those 5 cut pieces to not mar the pop up top.
    [​IMG]

Leaving shot
    [​IMG]

The board shifted fore/aft, I used nylon rope to secure it and that worked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By 3rd campground I changed the attach method, and used the ratching straps as dual hold down and forre/aft stabilizers, that worked perfect for rest of trip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This worked so well, any questions I'll answer.
    Total cost: call it $160: $125 for the 5 bike mounts, $20 for cinch straps, used lefotver 2 x 4 wood, $8 felt pads.

2. cbbankes

cbbankes New Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Nice, did the Felt pads do enough to save the top of the pup from getting scratched up?

3. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    Awesome!! I did almost the same exact thing!
    Only went a couple hundred miles with mine, and only had the slight fore / aft slide issues. It was only about an inch movement, so wasn't too worried about it. Looks like wrapping the ratchet straps like you did would solve that issue. I'll have to remember and try that next time.
    I ordered the mounting brackets online and saved quite a bit of money. Only needed 4.

4. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    yes - that was exactly their purpose, they were 4" wide x 6" wide and I cut them to fully fit.
    Zero mars/scratch, and wide enough to distribute the load.

I bought 2 of mine from local bike shop for $27 each (they ran out), and the other 3 from local Performance bikes for $20 each, so tax made them all $125-ish. This was done 2 days before the big trip.....

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
  6. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    That's a good price. I paid about $12 a piece including shipping.

7. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
  8. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Used this for a local 3 day camping trip with our newly bought popup.
    I worked easier due to mounting to the front storage box directly, instead of having to crawl under the trailer to hook into the frame.
    10 minutes to mount board and the 5 bikes, strapped down and all, not bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My concern as I move this more fwd of the axle and closer to the tow vehicle I'm putting the load more onto the hitch tongue and approaching or exceeding the 350lbs limit (10% of 3,500 capacity).

Has anyone done something as simple as put bathroom scale under their trailer and weighed the tongue load to see if overloaded with bikes?
    I'd chk the scale max capacity before doing that.
    Possible I can compensate by putting other heavy "stuff" rear of the axle in the side storage compartment and in the trailer itself....

5 bikes, 5 * 25lbs each + board/straps = 135lbs at least....

9. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Ok - we just came back from labor day weekend trip, and I'd like to add wheel storage forks to this.
    It's a PIA to store / unstore 5 wheels, I can at least store 4 wheels between the 5 bikes.

Has anyone added these to a board:
    Amazon has them pretty cheap, $18/each
    http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-BH4000-Wheel-Hitch/dp/B002OLX04Q/ref=sr_1_18?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1409596475&sr=1-18
    [​IMG]

As a quick mock-up I just placed 3 wheels between and they seemed to fit no problem
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been storing that board right on front of the sliding box just sitting on the frame at trailer park - neat clean method, not sure if with those forks on can it still fit there or what....

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Nice problem solving all! Beats Thule's outrageous prices!

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    humm, the wheel mounts look easy enough to make using some aluminum or steel flat stock from homedepot.

12. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Via amazon I got the 4 listed in earlier post....installed here it is:
    Now holds 5 bikes and 4 wheels! Much easier to get going/pack up this way.
    [​IMG]

used 1 5/8" deck screws with stainless washer
    [​IMG]

Here is what looks like w/o bike or wheel attached to one side
    [​IMG]

For storage @ campsite still fits in front of the slider unit.
    Just gotta be careful not to rest it against the slider in it's base position, as when the pop-up bed is extended over it you cannot see that and then upon sliding the bike forks would catch/scratch the plastic.
    [​IMG]

Only thing I may add is a simple thin/lightweight board/C channel device to stablize/hold the bikes apart now...
    When I get that done will share here.
    [​IMG]

13. bfahs

bfahs Member

Oct 5, 2013
    Very nice. I want a rack of some type and this is along the lines of what I'm thinking of.

14. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Jan 17, 2010
    You are so clever! I wouldn't of thought of mounting it like that. Neat! Thanks!

15. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Since all bikes weigh approx 150 lbs, and they are mid-way between ball hitch and axle, I was concerned with 75 lbs extra trailer tounge weight.
    I've got the room on the top to move rearward and lessen the tounge load if need be, but honestly it's a PIA then to load/unload and strap down.
    So for now I'll continue with mtg the bikes atop the sliding box.

16. RABID59

RABID59 Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Looks good glad to see the Litespeed got the seat of honor.

17. Nlittle

Nlittle New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Any reason you could not use those tire holders to hold the front of the bike while the tire is on? Rather than the fork bracket and tire bracket?

18. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    The tire brackets are usually very flimsy and the skewers are usually not long enough for the extra width.

mtbdudex likes this.
  19. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    Very well done!

20. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    As Art said tire holders are not rigid.
    Plus the std axle is not wide enough, it would need to be 3/8" longer each side, say 3/4" longer than normal.
    High end bikes use axle skewers....

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP