My DIY 2 x 4 bike rack for 5 bikes....used 3 weeks and 5,000 miles so far

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by mtbdudex, Aug 7, 2014.

1. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Astute eyes there sir!
    I usually load my Litespeed on the LH outer spot just so as I'm towing can make sure it's all secure and there.
    Many many races and memories with that trusty steed since 1998.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

2. Tyrus1886

Tyrus1886 New Member

Apr 19, 2016
    My design for 4 bikes and a canoe or 8 bikes total. If I was to do it again I would use a 2 X 8 instead of a 2 X 6 to make handle bar layout easier. In my case trying to make bmx and mtn bikes work on same layout. If only one set of bikes than 2 X 6 not so bad.

That said, what if bars were turned 90 degrees from normal position (which is totally inspired from mtbdudex design)? No handlebar interference and can avoid every other bike riser block! Next challenge... nesting the cranks.

Copy, improve and enjoy.
    Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irwDgpW8uow

3. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    I am going to build a version of this rack this week. The tire mount price has increased, so I think I am going to make them myself out of aluminum bar stock.
    Since my Taos is only 6ft wide, I think I will leave the 2x6 almost full length and cut 2 small notches or even a single slot to slide the straps thru.

4. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I think I'm going to build one this weekend. I really like the idea. I will call my local bike shop to see if they have the fork mounts and the tire mounts. I have found fork mounts on Amazon but does anyone know where I could find the tire mounts? The only bikes I currently would have is 2. My son is only 2 so my wife's bike has a carrier on it.

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Most shops stock Yakima or Thule stuff, so the tire mounts are going to be expensive. Looking at the pictures, I think I can make them out of a 6ft piece of aluminum bar stock from the local hardware store. But I don't think I will have time to make them before my trip this weekend.

6. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I called a bike shop today that stocks them. 20 bucks a piece. That doesn't seem too bad. I bought a couple fork mounts today, and the hardware needed. I work at Home Depot so I just grabbed it after I got off work.

arthuruscg likes this.
  7. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    For anyone who uses a bike rack like this how tight do you ratchet it down? I don't want to ruin my roof. I'm putting carpet under the wood so it doesn't scratch the roof, but will the added pressure of the ratchet straps hurt my roof?

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    So here's what I have, they feel pretty sturdy up there. We have a camping trip we leave for on Wednesday so I'll get to try it out.

Attached Files: