my "new" 1984 Starcraft M800 pop up truck camper

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Dawgboy, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Dawgboy

Dawgboy New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Picked this up for $2600US the other day to go in the back of my 91 Dodge with a Cummins. I wanted lightweight, simplicity, and low overhead, and that is exactly what I got with no frills. Just a stove, fridge, heater, and a cold water sink, plus two beds. Only real work needed is a re attachment of the camper jacks... Only had 3 from the factory and was very very tippy. I am adding a 4th, and moving the others a little and Through-bolting them. Also need to figure out the heater. Otherwise it's weather tight and a california dry vehicle... Could find no rot anywhere.

I am soon to be a happy camper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Looks solid! Congratulations!

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nice! I like it. :smiley:

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks nice also looks roomy. Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I like it! Happy camping.

6. TAMMI

TAMMI New Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Georgia
    Great find! Have fun.

7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I had wanted one of those too but wife said no so we got a popup instead. I’m happy about the decision but if it were just me the truck popup would’ve been fine too. Looks like a nice camper.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Cool. I always thought it would be neat to have a truck camper, but I don't have a truck. Thought about getting an old Avion (airstream style truck camper) and mounting it to my utility trailer in the hopes that eventually I might get another truck that it would work with. Have fun with your camper!

9. Boyerfam

Boyerfam New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    I really like the truck camper but WHOA! You have a car lift in your driveway, That's awesome!!

10. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Nice.

11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Stellar find. I had an 86 and loved it. Had to let it go after a divorce. That's what I'd have now if Debi could handle the overcab bed. Best road trip camper ever built.

12. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Back in the 80s, I wanted a 4-door pickup with a camper like that. I remember seeing lots of those back when I was a kid in Michigan.

Nowadays, I guess Class C RVs are the closest you can get. :-/

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    That would be outstanding for my solo camping up in the woods behind Harrisonburg VA and the WV state line wooded high country border area... I like the popup roof idea...

Then I would pull a small util trailer behind the truck for all of my camping setups, battery bank, and supplies...

The downside I guess would be if you had to head back to town for more supplies you would have to bring along the whole thing with you haha...

Of course I have the same problem with POPUP trailer as I don't like the idea of leaving it unattended way back off trail in the woods... Makes for good planning and having all the supplies you need for the usually week long stay off-grid...

Roy Ken

[​IMG]

14. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Nice! You might have to redo the stripe to match that truck!

You can still get popup TCs ya know, Farfetched. Starcraft has quit but Palomino still makes similar ones. Alaskan still makes them, and Texson is still making them under the name Northstar, plus a lot of less familiar brands.

I think you can still get Dodges, too! :p

FARfetched likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    I looked into those, but they seam to usually demand a premium price. A deal doesn't last long. The new ones have an exhaust fan that sucks in on the canvas as you lower the top so it isn't hanging out in places.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Not really. They are really quick to load and unload when you've done it a few times. My parents had one, but the top didn't come down, that we camped in when we were kids. Dad put it on the truck and hitched the boat behind. Unplug the pigtail, remove four anchor bolt, jack it up, drive out, and lower camper. I could get theirs, but it needs a ton of work and it's 1960's bare bones.

17. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    They are pretty quick to unload and reload once you get electric jacks installed. :p We always leave ours on and drag it with us on day trips though.

The freestanding tripod jacks are kinda scary!

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    That's what my parents camper has, one on each side.