My NTU 2006 Fleetwood Niagara - aka "Captain Janky"

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by CamperChrissy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

So excited to have a high wall! Although not exactly the one I thought I'd get... Found this one for sale about 2 hours away. Looked decent in the pics, but a few known issues (no original water heater, dometic cabana with dry-rotted bag and of unknown condition in a storage tote, etc.). Had my brother who lives close to it go take a peek and he said looks pretty good. So I negotiate with the seller on the phone and we agree on $4,500, assuming it's as described when we get there. Which is a really good price for my area. We make the drive and well... it's basically as described, but pretty dirty! Like nothing unusual, but looks like it's never been swept or wiped cleaned or fabrics washed. Ever! But roof seems solid, canvas looks good, no soft spots on the floor. We bring it home!

Now we dig in. And that's where it gets it's new nickname. Seems the PO was a resourceful, creative guy who made fixes and mods with whatever parts he had around. Example: bike rack on the roof made of some Yakima parts that are probably nice, but also 100 pounds of lumber hastily painted and screwed together. A GIANT (like 8 inch probably) PVC tube crookedly strapped to the rear bumper to hold the stinky slinky. (Even though the rear bumper is hollow for exactly the purpose of holding the stinky slinky.) And to top it off, a plastic milk crate also strapped to the rear bumper to hold the crank handle. How did that not bounce out on a bumpy road? For the last 12 days, we've been cleaning and fixing and removing janky things. All systems work and the cabana is functional! So happy and relieved!

Here are some pics from our cleaning process (don't worry, I have all upload_2018-10-3_6-16-25.png upload_2018-10-3_6-17-27.png upload_2018-10-3_6-18-18.png the cushions, they were getting washed):

upload_2018-10-3_6-16-25.png

upload_2018-10-3_6-17-27.png

upload_2018-10-3_6-18-18.png

dmon6388, Nelly1975, Kitrina and 2 others like this.
  2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new HW. I really like that layout.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the NTU PUP. Looks like it is in good shape. Hope ya'll make many great memories in the future with the PUP. Good Luck and Happy Camping

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Maybe he stored the outdoor rug in the bumper? Lol.

5. sceri

sceri Active Member

I have a Somerset Niagara (pretty much the same layout etc...) and with the newer model stinky slinky's they will not fit in the bumper. I found this out after buying the brand I did. There are slinky's out there that will fit although, it's my belief many that fit are of lower quality. I too am looking to add a PVC holder under the trailer to hold device.

Just my .02....

6. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Hi there--curious how you washed your cushions? We just bought an '07 Niagara and I wasn't sure how to go about washing them. Covers? Can you wash the foam? TIA

7. CamperChrissy

What funny timing - ol' Captain Janky is parked in my driveway again just like the pics, getting a spring cleaning!

I took the covers off the cushions (mine all have zippers) and washed the covers in the washing machine on gentle. I laid them on the driveway on a sunny day to dry. I didn't want to put them in the dryer because they were already a tight fit and I didn't want to risk them shrinking. I will say it was a lot of wrestling to get the covers back on the cushions, mainly because on mine the boards go INSIDE the cover along with the foam. I'm sure I stretched the fabric kind of thin on a few of the corners. However I knew this was a risk that I was willing to take, given that i was pretty sure they had never been washed and there was no way I was using them without washing first.

For the foam, I sprayed them with a mix of vinegar and water and put them on the sunny driveway too. I read somewhere that the vinegar and sunshine somehow kill whatever cooties are in there.

One other thing you might encounter - when I washed my curtains (in the washing machine and dryer), the valance curtain got all stretched out because the elastic was just old and dried out and lost it's elasticity. So now it hangs all droopy and sad. Planning to make a new one soon. All the other curtains came out just fine.

Good luck!

Kitrina likes this.
  8. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Great info--thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like I have quite a bit of work ahead of me. What about the mattress covers? We have sheets to put on. The covers are in good shape; I don't think I can fit that in my washing machine but I would like to find a way to clean it. Maybe just pull it out into the driveway and spray it with the vinegar/water mix? Rub the surface with a soapy cloth?

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I did mine mattrass covers with 409 or something like that , sprayed them and scrubbed with a scotch brite pad then wiped off with a towel.

Kitrina likes this.
  10. CamperChrissy

My mattress covers are quilted fabric. I was able to fit them in my washer and then laid them out to dry. Maybe you could take them to a laundromat with the big washers?

Kitrina likes this.
  11. Pop-N-Fresh

Pop-N-Fresh New Member

Beautiful!

CamperChrissy likes this.
  12. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Member

That's a very nice rig, congratulations on a great find.

13. dmon6388

dmon6388 New Member