My plan, so far.....

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by LCK, Dec 20, 2018.

1. LCK

LCK New Member

I'm hoping for some seasoned advice, good idea's, criticism, and general thoughts on my plan.

Looking at the Somerset E3 "toy haul" edition. We are planning to modify and equip it and tow vehicle with the needed equipment for long term boondocking.

Solar on roof, Lithium Iron Phosphate (Battleborn) batteries, replace inside toilet/shower with expedition style 12 v fridge freezer, toss factory fridge (more storage) use composting toilet along with continuous hot water shower in stand alone pop up room, 65 gal. water bladder and 3 stage filter system w/12 volt pump.

Upgrade axle, heat shields, fantastic fan, outdoor cooking area, pillow top foam mattress covers.

This set up needs to accommodate 3 adults.

Any thoughts, idea's, suggestions? Thanks!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Going to cost quite a bit but good luck with it! About the only item I would question is the composting toilet but I suppose that solves your waste disposal issue when boondocking. My niece & her husband built a Class B around a Mercedes high wall Sprinter which he equipped with one of the larger Engle fridge / freezers which they say works really well.

LCK likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you have the money go for it. Solar can be great if you got the sun. You may need to add a generator for those days the sun doesn't shine enough to charge your batteries though. I know where I like to camp solar wouldn't work unless I could chase the sun. Then again I love the mountains and forests. Good luck.

LCK likes this.
  4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Not sure how to weigh in without knowing what you’re planning to do with it and how much energy usage et al.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Just quickly off the top of my head, I don't think the solar will be enough to run the fridge. Better check out all the numbers of what the fridge requires and what the solar will put out. You then need more of the batteries for lights and pumps and stuff. Then as jmkay1 says, you get a couple of cloudy days. I think you're going to have a fridge that is able to run on propane.

LCK likes this.
  6. LCK

LCK New Member

I think the composting toilet will also greatly reduce water use as well.

7. LCK

LCK New Member

Oh yes, forgot to mention generator. Thank you.

8. LCK

LCK New Member

Planning on spending a lot of full time in it, 5 to 6 month stints in baja and mainland mexico, mostly in the coasts.
    Microwave, instapot for some cooking along with solar oven, small t.v, x box system, hair dryer for my better half, portable fan, charging phones and laptops, lights etc.

9. LCK

LCK New Member

Yes, I forgot to mention generator. The expedition type fridges manage pretty well on solar, but you do have to be ready to supplement it.

10. Tikker

Tikker Member

just size the solar properly, and you should have plenty of capability. things like an instapot/slowcooker can really chew up a lot of amp hours tho. You may want to look at clean wood burning stoves (rocket stove types)

LCK likes this.
  11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb I try to follow is to size the battery bank for 3 days without charge and size the solar array to fully charge the batteries in one day. 100 Ah of battery does that for me but with all the inverter use you're planning you'll need more. Use 12 volt appliances where possible, fan, tv, charging devices, etc. Avoid parasitic draws where possible, tv, stereo, etc. and wire the inverter so that it can be fully disconnected when not in use.

I'd like to hear how the Battleborn batteries work out for you so please follow up with build plans, and actual usage reviews.

LCK likes this.
  12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I love to see this kind of conversations here. Maybe 80% of our camping is "boondocking" which I like to state is much easier than most people think. Why isn't this thread in the "boodokking" section?

MyName likes this.
  13. LCK

LCK New Member

Because I'm new here and didn't pay attention to there being a boondocking section. If someone knows how to move it that would be fine, thank you.

MyName likes this.
  14. LCK

LCK New Member

Thank you for the input. I spent last evening with the fellow I am having help me with the solar set up. He is some kind of scary smart overlander solar array guy. I was encouraged after speaking with him and going over my plan.
    I promise to keep this updated as I proceed.

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I'd never heard of Battleborn batteries. YIKES! $950 for 100 AH? That's nearly $10 per AH. A cheap 6V golf cart battery is $150 and that has 200 AH, and with TWO, you'd have 400 AH and only be at $300. You could replace the set three times before you even got to the price of one Battleborn. Granted, there's the sealed battery versus wet cell debate, but wow.

If you have a genny, you can scale back the solar I guess. I have a genny in the TT, but I'm looking to be able to run TV/stereo for a couple of hours a day without having to run it, so I'm planning to get a solar panel setup to be able to run silent, and just top off the batteries when I run the genny at dinner.

I didn't research it, but do they make a portable composting toilet? The composting process is temp/moisture sensitive, and isn't without offgassing. I've seen a lot in cabins, and usually the compost box is outside the cabin with some sort of auger to move solids outside. If you tend to them correctly, you get compost in time. Otherwise, you get something less useful. There is a remote village option too... it's essentially a lugable loo, but instead of a little water or dry bag, you use shredded paper. You can use the bucket, with a lid between uses, and then dump the mix into a compost heap. The carbon in the paper speeds composting and really controls the odor. You just use it, and throw a little more shredded paper on top, and close the lid. I was shocked how well it worked.

Check this link out: http://humanurehandbook.com/

Best of luck. I am curious on the Battleborn batteries though.

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Sorry, incorrect. Two 6 volt batteries must be wired in series so while voltage doubles, AH capacity remains the same (in your example 200 AH) 1/2 of which is usable assuming a 50% draw down.

17. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m curious of how the plan is being funded. What’s the max budget? Those composting toilets are wildly expensive as well. The good news is there’s plenty information out there about how many amps Slow Cookers, Hair Dryers and Playstations take. What about AC? Many have tried to solar power their rooftop units but failed.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  18. LCK

LCK New Member

Yes the batteries have sticker shock, no pun intended. Weight of battery is about a third, you can completely deplete and recharge without harming them so you actually get the full use of the battery, recharging is extremely fast and you can hit them with a much higher recharge rate, 10 year, no questions asked warranty. I would never consider them but for these things, we will be living in the pop up more than not. Not going full time but at least 9 months out of the year. The weight in a pop up is always a concern, and the ability to take a huge draw at once is awesome. Many full time rv'rs are using them. Not for recreational use, but more feasible for long term rv/boondocking/overland use like I will be doing.

Nature's head and air head companies make a composting toilet that work and are being widely used by long term rv'rs. Simple and easy to manage in an rv. Coconut husks or peatmoss are the two options most use in rv applications. The toilet will already be outside of the pop up in a separate privacy privy along with the continuous shower stall.

19. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

I have a question...
    I have read on a few threads that Somerset owners are wanting to switch out the stock axle.....may I ask why? I am looking at possibly purchasing one (POSSIBLY) and wonder why this is needed. Seems like a well built product.

20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We bought 2 100 AH batteries and a 100 W solar panel and easily ran a danfoss compressor style fridge that was plenty big. We seldom had to run our generator to charge the batteries. The batteries were just ok. they were "used" in that they were used in a medical setting and had to be changed frequently to maintain peak performance. We got a good two years out of them, and they were only $50 each.

6 v are great, but have a problem in that if one fails, you only have 6 v and can't use anything.