My solar setup thread

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Strut, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dmitrym

dmitrym New Member

Sep 13, 2013
  2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I believe he has already answered that question: "Another reason I opted for the roof mount design is that with the PUP deployed I won't have to worry about the panels wandering off, as you can't even see them from the ground. When I camp I'm rarely around the campsite during the day, which makes it hard to chase the sun with mobile panels."

3. dmitrym

dmitrym New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks, I missed it somehow.

4. Strut

Strut Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Well, it's been a while, but I did finally make some progress on the install. Shortly after I got the mounts I learned that the manufacturer had some larger "spoiler" mounts that would work even better for my application. I ordered some, but unfortunately they arrived warped and unusable. I had them ship me out replacements, however the replacements were warped also. [:(!] Since I was running out of time before my Smokey Mountains & Rally trip, I decided to try some heat and a bunch of clamps to try and make them work. [MOD]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They ended up working great. No way these panels are going anywhere.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to get the wiring done before I head out on vacation next week. I'll wire up the controller temporarily if need be. At least I'll have plenty of juice for my 9 day trip.

5. lifespeed

lifespeed New Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Good job on thinking ahead and using a real MPPT solar controller and enough solar panel to provide for worst-case electrical use. Really, solar panels are not that expensive. What is your time worth? Do it once and don't go back to revisit, redo what you cheaped out on, etc.

It is really nice not to be concerned with electrical use: furnace, ventilation fan, lights etc. I am also a believer in setup-free roof mounting. Here is a link to my install if you're interested: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=89253.0;all

6. Strut

Strut Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Damn, its been almost 3 years... My old battery finally bit the dust, so I'm just now getting around to relocating the new battery and completing the new wiring. I decided to add a battery disconnect, switch panel and a Bluetooth car stereo & speakers while I was at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The speakers are of the waterproof marine variety. I'll tell you what, it took some cajones to cut 6" holes in the side of a perfectly good camper! I contemplated it for two days before I started cutting ;)

The switch panel has a LED battery gauge, two 2.1A USB charging ports, and 4 switches. The switches operate the solar panel disconnect, battery gauge, USB ports, and the radio power.

The solar panel disconnect is required since I installed the battery disconnect. The charge controller requires the battery to be connected prior to connecting the panels, and vise versa when disconnecting.

I purchased a new VMaxTanks VMAX SLR155 AGM 155AH sealed battery and installed it inside a cabinet just behind the axel. This removed close to 50lbs tongue weight, which my 2 door Jeep Wrangler TV appreciates greatly.

I'll post some pictures of the battery mount and internal wiring shortly.

Cheers,

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I'm curious where you mounted your speakers, and how they're wired.

8. Strut

Strut Member

Jun 24, 2014
    The speaker locations are visible in the first picture of my previous post. They are wired inside of a cabinet that extends over both locations. The speakers I chose were about a 1/2" deeper than the thickness of the walls so some of the magnet protrudes inside as below:

[​IMG]

9. Strut

Strut Member

Jun 24, 2014
    The rest of the install images:

New battery mounted
    [​IMG]

Finished install with battery disconnect
    [​IMG]