My UK Starcraft.

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by UKDiamond001, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hampshire UK
    Looking good, great to see another popup in the UK

UKDiamond001 likes this.
  2. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Hey Bob in Fleet, another Bob here in Suffolk and I love Hampshire, may catch up when I'm done.

The tow bar was fitted to the car today, a friend helped me so I saved more than a few pennies.
    A typo on the instructions caused some confusion with the wiring but as there was only one colour left, it had to be the one :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  3. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Oh my.... it's almost August and still have this on my "To do" list.

Remove exterior roof weather strip, clean replace and seal.
    Reinstall bed pod canvas.
    Reinstall privacy curtain tracks
    Sand interior woodwork, prime, paint and wax.
    Remove wheels, brakes, bearings.
    Grease bearings, refit and reassemble brakes.
    Grease roof lifter cable and crank mechanism.
    Rewire the running lights.
    Titivate the exterior bodywork.
    Whilst this is going on the cushions and privacy curtains are to be made.

It may be ready by the summer of 2020 (if I'm spared!)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. sceri

sceri Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    What!? You're slackin @UKDiamond001. Better get crackin! LOL :police:[{:)][Guitar]

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I'm gonna be an ignorant American for a bit.
    What are the camping/RVing opportunities like in the UK?

It's something I never thought of before now.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Titivate?????????

7. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    To make small improvements or alterations to (one's appearance etc.); to add some finishing touches to.
    Another expression we commonly use is to "tart" something up. (A tart being a lady for hire who would apply lots of make up to hide imperfections)

jnc likes this.
  8. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    We have plenty of good camp sites over here, sited tents, caravans and yurts can be hired, so can cars and motor homes (but you have to remember the steering wheel is on the right and we drive on the left).
    If you fancy "boondocking" or "wild camping" as we call it you should read this.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  9. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    In THIS heat you are having a giggle!

10. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Not so bad today so out we go. First up is to check the roof as I noticed some moss in the rail. Well I can't expect to get away scot free can I?
    First thing that indicated some work was needed was the fact that there were screws where there shouldn't be so I removed them...or part of them...rusted through were they as Master Yoda would say and when dropped the wet was revealed. The photos tell the rest of the story.
    Just front and rear ends affected but it's still a pain in the butt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just need to measure the old and replace. At least the top is good.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  11. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Good news, the rest of the roof is good, as is the rail and gasket which will be put back with some caulking tape.
    I love it when friends have left overs, he just happens to have enough marine ply to do both ends for free.

One thing I have noticed is how many of you have "pick up trucks"to tow your units. All I have is a little saloon car which is for everyday use.
    [​IMG]
    A 2003 Rover 45 1.8 Impression...British built pulling an American PuP.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  12. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Funny but just the other day I was noticing how it seems all you guys from across the pond can pull your
    campers with normal cars while we feel the need to get something just sort of a Tractor Trailer to pull the
    lawn mower trailer, lol. It was really evident in the "Back Up Skills Competition" video someone posted. They
    were using an Audi sedan to pull a camper that looked to be about 25' long.
    Good luck with the repairs. You'll be done before you know it!

13. jnc

We all drive pick ups because they are so versatile. Can you take your ATV with you when you go camping?

14. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    I have to admit I can't.....but then I don't have an ATV and with the cost of fuel here about $9 a gallon, don't think I want one. I'm happy running light at 45 MPG

I did have a 1000cc Fiat Panda pulling a microlite caravan once just for fun.

15. jnc

That does sound like fun. On a side note anything that gets 45 MPG & will get out of it's own way is outlawed here. It keeps the oil companies running good.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  16. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    The tow ratings on vehicles sold here and in the elsewhere are VERY different.
    In the US, lawsuits have cut the tow ratings to about half of what yours are.
    The vehicle's ability is the same of course, but if you were in an accident and found to be over your specified tow rating it could be very costly.

Also gas is MUCH cheaper here and even the towing difference between my 4Runner (5K rated) and my F250 work truck (9500lb rated I think) are night and day.
    This is the first time I've towed with a vehicle other than a full size truck, it still seems odd.

17. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    UK laws for towing are
    If the caravan/trailer is heavier than the car, that car must not be used as a towing vehicle an 85% split is ideal. My car is allowed to tow up to 1000kg (2204.62lbs) so the Starcraft gives me a 45% split
    The extreme to ridiculous is this

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    jnc likes this.
  18. jnc

I like it but it won't fly here in the USA. We like to travel farther then we can peddle. Where do you put the 1000 lbs gear? I can barely make it up a hill walking never mind towing a tent with a bike!

19. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Ah now then Jim.....you free wheel downhill screaming YeeHaa and on the uphill, you lasso an overtaking car :)

Collected the bed pods from the repair shop today, a fantastic job done (pics to follow)

jnc likes this.
  20. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    You'd be run over by some Escalade driving soccer mom while she was busy updating her instagram.