National Rally - Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Nitty Gritty, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty I love RVing!!

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
    Has anyone checked into all the hype about the national rally?

2. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    Re: National Rally

Joe and I have had some minor discussions about it but nothing set in stone yet! I'm open to any ideas!! Thinking about a trip to Okemah this coming weekend so if I don't responded don't go crazy on me!!!

3. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

Jun 24, 2006
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    As Beerlifter mentioned... I touched base with him and CompCamper but wanted to wait until after your rally to get things rolling.

4. Beerlifter

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    Since it is still early for decision making. I would like to throw a couple of places up for the location of the rally:

Beavers Bend, Greenleaf, and lets throw Dripping Springs in there also! All of these are just ideas that popped into my head. Of course number of people will make a large part in the deciding factor also.

If your from Oklahoma or even close by, drop a line and let us know if your interested in attending and we'll get this ball rolling.

5. Mrs_P

Mrs_P Claremore, OK

Jan 19, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    We will be attending.. Our suggestion would be Sequoyah State Park / Western Hills Guest Rach / Keystone State Park, Eufaula State Park (really enjoyed this one) / Robbers Cave /

Just a few suggestions..

6. CompuCamper

CompuCamper Where to camp next?

Nov 14, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I am open but I see that they are on the eastern side of OK. How about some where central or western OK.

7. Beerlifter

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    Ok lets see central and western..... Heard good reviews on Canton Lake, Lake Carl Blackwell. We also have Witchita Wildlife Refugee. Lots to do and see there. Roman Nose SP, Thunderbird SP, geez I could go on and on. I'm not sure how we are gonna do this.

Anthony, since we were "volunteered" into this send me a PM and we will see if we can come up with 3 or 4 locations and let the people decide

8. Wichita Wildlife refuge would be fun. I don't know how many reservations we would have to get, but it would take good planning if we tried to go there. Roman Nose is beautiful but to try to get spots by the lake would take a lot of cooperation since they don't take reservations. I have heard good things about Canton Lake. Another spot is Red Rock Canyon. Hard to get in and out of, but it is real pretty in the canyon. [2C]

9. CompuCamper

CompuCamper Where to camp next?

Nov 14, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I just thought of a place that does reservations. How about Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Sulphur, OK. The RV sites are by the Arbuckle Lake. The camp site are very good site and restrooms are also very good. We can swim in the lake or in the spring fed creek. I posted my pictures of the place here.

10. The Chickasaw National Recreation Area would be a great place. We stayed there one year when we were tent camping. The spring fed stream was ice cold even in the middle of July when we went. And Sulphur is right there if you need to get anything. I like it!

11. Mrs_P

Mrs_P Claremore, OK

Jan 19, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sulphur is on our list too to visit. DH used to camp there all the time when he was little, but the kiddos and I have not camped there yet.. I like it too.....

12. Nitty Gritty

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
    Chickasaw National Recreations sounds great! It's on my list of must see places seems as good a time as any to check it off!

13. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Central Oklahoma
    Lake of the Arbuckles is one of our absolute favorites. We would go for the Chickasaw area with no problem!

14. Beerlifter

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    I have looked @ there web site and the only problem I foresee is the lack of sites with hook ups. I will double check today and see what I can come up with. I have camped there many times and it is a beatiful area.

Ok here is what I have found:

Buckhorn Campground
    The Buckhorn Campground has four loops. Loop D is usually open year round; the other loops are open seasonally.

Loop A has 20 campsites with 1 handicapped accessible site; all of these sites are first come-first serve. Loop B has 25 campsites with 1 handicapped accessible site; all sites in this loop are first come-first serve. Loop C has 41 campsites with 2 handicapped sites. There are 17 electrical sites out of the 41 campsites; these sites are reservable. Loop D has 48 campsites with 3 handicapped accessible sites. There are 24 electrical sites out of the 48 campsites. All sites are first come-first serve. Showers are available in the restrooms.

The Point Campground
    The Point Campground has two loops. The lower loop includes 9 electrical and 28 tent sites. Three sites in the lower loop are handicapped accessible. Campsites in the lower loop are open on a first come-first serve basis. For those who like privacy the walk-in sites are further from parking but worth the extra walk. The upper loop has 12 electrical sites and 9 tent camping sites, including 2 handicapped accessible sites; these sites are reservable. Showers are available in the restrooms.

Reservable sites must be reserved through the www.recreation.gov or call 1 877-444-6777 or TDD 1 877-833-6777.
    Reserve a campsite now
    Campground maps: Upper loop | Lower Loop

Group campsites and reservable sites must be reserved through the www.recreation.gov or call 1 877-444-6777 or TDD 1 877-833-6777.
    Reserve a campsite now
    Campground maps: Loop A | Loop B | Loop C | Loop D

As you can see there are only 17 electrical sites that are reservable in one area (Loop C, Buckhorn) and only 12 electrical sites reservable in one area @ The point Campground (Upper Loop)

This normally would be plenty, but with the way the rallies have been growing I would hate to say yes and then run out of sites because we have too many campers.

This is purely up to you guys........if this is where you want to go that is fine by me. I love the area and would love to go back! We might be a little spread out but I'm sure we will find everyone!!

15. Nitty Gritty

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
    Sounds like a plan, Steve. We can plan for one campground and if we fill up that would be awesome! I like the idea so far! What dates are we looking at for the International PUP rally? Looks like June 18th - 27th! I realized we made prior arrangements for the last week of June. Maybe we can pull off two rallies.

16. Beerlifter

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    I think everyone is setting them up in mid-June, which would be super!!! Cuz I always take my B-day off and go camping. My B-day falls on a Saturday the 19th and that of course would be during the rally......what more could a guy ask for!!!

17. Beerlifter

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    Ok folks, it's the dead of winter and I'm bored!! Camping season will be upon us quicker than you know ( I hope anyways!).

We need to poll our thoughts and figure out for sure where we will be having our rally this year. When this thread died out we were discussing Chickasaw NP. Is this still ok with everyone. Any input on any campground will be considered.

Chickasaw NP is a beautiful park with plenty of activities and sites to see. Please post your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks, Steve (aka Beerlifter)

18. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Central Oklahoma
    Just noticed your post, Steve! I'm still in for Chickasaw NP. It's gorgeous there. Let me know if I can help out some way.

19. Beerlifter

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    Ok that's two for Chickasaw NP. I plan on calling them within the next few days and seeing what I can come up with.

Here is what I have researched so far:

Buckhorn campground Loop C
    These sites are reservable but are only 15amp elec. which could be a problem in the middle of June!!

[​IMG]

Buckhorn Campground Loop D
    These sites are first come first serve and also only have the 15amp elec.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? I will call and confirm about the 15 amp service as that seems a little out dated!!
    These two campgrounds are in the Arbuckle District. There is another in the Platt Historic District that only has nine sites with electric. I will check further into it maybe depending on the output on these first two.

And by the way the sites can reserved NOW!!! So if this is what we are gonna do we need to get hoppin'.

Don't know if this will work but:
    http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Buckhorn_Campground_Ok_Chickasaw_Nra/r/campgroundMap.do?camparea=82267269&selectedSiteRb=142307&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74054

20. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Central Oklahoma
    The link works fine, Steve. To me, the reservable Buckhorn area would be the ticket and we could start reserving soon. The 15 amp isn't ideal but with our portable AC we could deal with it I think. For everyone with rooftop AC it could be a problem. Let us know if you can find out anything on that... find me by email or PM if you need help with leg-work on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.