Navigation Tips for the New Software

Discussion in 'Website Tips & Tricks' started by mpking, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Couple of quick tips I've figured out so far:

First, fix your timezone (As well as any other information you feel you want to share)
    I like to turn on the "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply..." option.

This makes for the "updated topics" functionality we are missing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alerts. Appears to show replies to threads you've posted in, as well as any site activity. (New Personal messages, Site badges)
    [​IMG]

If you checked off the watched threads item, you can use this link on the home page:
    [​IMG]

Here's a fun trick, all website activity:

[​IMG]

JustMePatrick likes this.
  2. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    2017-03-16 11_05_07-Clipboard.png

adrianpglover likes this.
  3. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Thanks, this was very helpful. Now is there a way to mark posts as read by the page or individually? Back when I first joined I would obesely read every post but now I skip the ones that don't pertain to me (solar power, cassette toilet) to save time.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    There might be a way to select which ones by subforum, but at least for now, you can mark EVERYTHING read here:

Mark Forums Read.jpg

5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    When I first joined this site I used my Bowman3d handle, I later changed it to NYGfan. When they switched formats it went back to Bowman3g. Is there anyway I can change it back to NYGfan?

6. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    @Bowman3d - I don't see a way to change the handle. (By the way, I love your location...best place to be.) This would also effect my wife as she originally signed up with mrs.sarabglover when she meant to put mrs.adrianpglover to associate herself with me since she rarely posts. It was an interesting feature of the old forum, although I always thought it was a bit odd that it would allow you to do that.

I'm curious to know if there's a way that I can do a search or at least get a listing of all of the threads that I have posted to that have had updates. On the old forum a thread was automatically "watched" without a way to unwatch a thread. Basically I'd like to try and watch all of the threads that I've posted to and selectively unwatch certain ones that go on forever.

On a similar note, is there an easy way to look up all of the threads that I started, not just the ones that I posted to? I used to use this feature of the old software as a quick way to find certain things I had done and to post references to them when people were needing specifics on something.

7. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I not sure if I understand what your asking. I thought the first post in this thread (here's a link to the top) was exactly that. To unwatch a thread, just click the "unwatch Thread" button at the top of the thread.

Yes, there is a very easy way to do it. (Requires more than one click however)

2017-04-04 08_36_09-Navigation Tips for the New Software _ PopUpPortal.png
    2017-04-04 08_36_51-mpking _ PopUpPortal.png
    View attachment 20980

8. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Forgot one screenshot. Click this at the bottom:
    2017-04-04 08_38_53-mpking _ PopUpPortal.png

9. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    @mpking - Thanks for pointing out how to get the listing of threads that I have started. That should help me quite a bit.

As for my other question, yes, you are correct under the new forum software. However, all of the posts and threads that I started under the old software weren't marked automatically as watched when it was transitioned to the new software. I suppose at a minimum I could go back through the threads that I have started and watch them. The only thing is I had been keeping up with many other threads that I had posted to and now I'm not sure if there have been any updates.

Something that may help with my request but is probably not supported by the forum software is if there were a way for me to do an advanced search or query of the database where I could grab a listing of all threads that I have posted to but am not currently watching. Yeah...I doubt there's a simple way to do that.

As a side note, I'm not trying to complain, just wondering if there is a simple way to do what I'm trying to do. If there isn't, then that's fine. If it bothers me enough I may eventually write a script to perform these actions on the website by controlling my browser. Been a long time since I've done that, but wouldn't be the first time. (Of course I'd limit the script so that it doesn't generate too much traffic too quickly or anything.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I gotcha now.

How about this?

From the Search button at the top, there are two things I'm going to call attention to. The first, there is little arrow that brings up a submenu, it has a Show all posts by you button. (Not what you were asking, just something I figured out trying to answer your question. In fact, that's how I'm figuring ALL this stuff out, just by answering peoples questions)

The second thing, is the More button, which brings up the "Advanced Search" screen.

2017-04-05 08_12_14-Search Results _ PopUpPortal.png

If you put your username in the "Posted by member"
    and check the "Display results as Threads" button, you'll get the same thing, but grouped in to threads (so the same thread won't show up 10 times, like the first option I mentioned)

2017-04-05 08_12_58-Search Threads and Posts _ PopUpPortal.png

JPBar likes this.
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    RE: hovering the mouse over the title to show preview

Is that something that can be turned on and off. On my PC at work (Windows 7) it works like a champ. At home I have Windows 10 and cannot get the preview.

I think it's a great feature and would like to make it work both places.

Thanks in advance.

12. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    @mpking - Thanks. That search will help a lot in reducing the number of links I have to traverse through to add everything to my watched list.

**Edit** Is there a limit on the number of search results returned? In performing the search you were talking about it shows me 10 pages with 20 threads per page. I doubt that the actual results are such a round number.

@kcsa75 - I have Windows 10 at both home and work. The preview works fine in both places. It's most likely something to do with your browser or a plugin (like flash).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  13. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Looking at how the results work in displaying all of the posts that I've made from my profile page, it looks like I'll have to put in a date range or some other criteria so that I can get less than 200 results returned and iterate based on that. It's going to take a bit more for me to write a script to do this, but I don't mind that much. It's not something that many people are likely to want and it's only a gap coverage anyway.

Thanks for all the help @mpking.

14. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    No problem. I'm learning as I go with this software. I just came to the conclusion to write it down and post pictures :p

15. Fless

Fless Active Member

Wondered if anyone else experiences the site logging you off when clicking on the HOME tab? When logging in, I select the "stay logged in" checkbox. Is there some browser setting that needs to be set?

I can use the browser "back" button and I am still logged in, but it's kind of irritating that it doesn't retain the login when using the HOME tab.

Using Win10, Firefox 52.0.2, latest version. Works fine on IE 11, so I'm thinking it's just a browser setting.

Also, the old forum software had icons within the profile area of messages, one of them being an optional "camera" that would take one to a Photobucket or other picture hosting site. Anyone found a way to do that now? I know you can go to the poster's profile to see the "home page" but that seems to require too many clicks. Looking for something a bit more handy to use in my in-message profile.

16. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    As for Home logging you out, it's an error in the site setup. You probably logged in to http://www.popupportal.com. The home button points to http://popupportal.com. Different domain (Notice the missing www.) , which means the cookie (how the website identifies you) doesn't match, so you are "logged out", but in reality, you were never logged in to that domain. I messaged Steve, but he's been offline for about a week, so I don't know if he's had a chance to look at it.

As for the photo icon....
    You could put the link in your signature...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cam...bs=isz:ex,iszw:25,iszh:25&tbm=isch&source=lnt

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  17. Fless

Fless Active Member

Thanks for that -- I actually log in using the secure link: https://www.popupportal.com/, so that explains what's happening.

I did think of putting the pic link in my signature and will probably do that, but maybe as a tinyurl to keep it short.

Good info!

18. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    So this is why I stay loved on in safari on my iPad and am always kicked off on the iPhone! Big thank you for this;)

19. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I was going to mention that the https vs http would trigger it as well, but i didn't want to confuse the issue. (I too try to exclusively use https)

20. Fless

Fless Active Member

Since I keep a Bookmark button for Popupportal on my toolbar, I just use that when I want to hit "home". That way I'm still using the same one that I used to log in.