Need a stronger rear bumper for my Coleman Cheyenne

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Rob James, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Rob James

Rob James New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Rochester NY
    I want to put a hitch on my rear bumper to hold a bike carrier and my current bumper is pretty weak. Am I able to purchase an upgraded bumper that has the hole in it for the crank handle but is 4" by 4" instead of 4" by 2"?

Or am I going to have to have something custom made?

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Bike carriers aren't a good idea mounted to the rear , they take away too much tongue weight .

Orchid likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Pup bumpers are notoriously weak. Just an upgraded bumper does not solve the whole problem. To gain some strength, the bumper has to be reinforced from the frame.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    You could add racks to the roof? Just an option.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We use a bike rack that goes on the back of tow vehicle. It carries 4 bikes.

6. Rob James

Rob James New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Rochester NY
    Yes I thought of that. What I was looking to do was maybe put two bikes there and offset by adding a carrier to the front for the other bikes.
    My challenge is I have four kids and four bikes right now. That is likely to grow.
    Any other options for front mounted or top mounted bike carriers?

7. Rob James

Rob James New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Rochester NY
    I don;t seem to have enough space for that configuration. You mean the hitch from your vehicle has two ports... one for the tow ball and then one higher up to hold the bike carrier?

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have seen them made to mount on the tongue and the bike sit over the front on the pup.

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Check out ProRac system. Bit pricy but well worth it....will carry all 4 bikes with limited change to tongue weight. Some have made their own to save cost using same design.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I was going to look into the racks that mount to the bars I have installed on the top of the pup allready. Just haven't got there yet. My daughter isn't into the bikes, because she at 6 insists she dosent need training wheels. She can't ride a bike , so it sits in the garage.

11. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Jun 5, 2014
    LG Region NY
    Not sure what your TV is but if its a truck, a front hitch will work well for hauling bikes. Plus it will give you the ability to manuver your pup from the front..great for putting exactly where you want