Need to replace A/C

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Ro Sank, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Hi,
    I recently bought a 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1640ltd. The camper is in good shape and everything works, except the rooftop A/C trips the breaker when switched on (the fan settings in the A/C work fine). After some troubleshooting as per instructions in this and other forums, i figured out the compressor is grounded. So, I need to switch out the A/C with a new one.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the Dometic Duo Therm Brisk 2 and the Coleman 13.5K rooftop. Both are around $500 +shipping and both have a 2 year warranty. The Dometic is lighter (72lbs as opposed to 108lbs), so that is a plus.
    Let me know if there are any other options.
    Thanks.

G

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    What brand do you currently have? Don't think the bottom half of A/C (inside part) units are compatible with different brands. Not sure but I would not think so.

3. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    i currently have a Coleman, but it is pretty old. Planning on replacing both outside and inside unit. There are add on heating elements available as well, for $50 more. Are those worth it? I don't have a furnace in the camper, so will be nice if we use it in the winter.

G

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I have the heat strip also but never have used it, but I have used the furnace and heated mattresses if its get that cold. I try not go camping if it going gets that cold.

5. Ismael Jenkins

Ismael Jenkins New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Hi there, If you are looking for replacing you old AC then you should go on with the Trane brand which is buddy good and in trend too. My friend has recently installed AC of the same bran in his new home. In this AC installation process Electricians Exton PA has helped him a lot and gave him a well maintained and manageable service. If you want some more suggestion of AC brand, you should surely consult the professional who have better knowledge of the machine.

6. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I ended up replacing the A/C. I got a Dometic 13.5K unit, along with the roof control panel and the optional heater. The replacement was not difficult, but took about 3 hours. New unit is much smaller than the old Coleman and seems pretty efficient. Too warm to try the heater, but it seemed to be heating up when switched on. Looking forward to testing out the new unit next month on a quick weekend trip.

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Good to hear you got it replaced with out any issues, Happy Camping.