Neutered camping buddy still has testicles?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Orchid, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Whew...I saw this topic and thought maybe someone's friend got hurt in a PUP but it wasn't a total loss...

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    It's not just you ... [:O]

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Hey Orchid! Sorry for long delay, been off in Yosemite!

Yes, its called a scrotal hematoma and common especially in adult larger breed neuters, post-op. Warm packing it usually helps, keeping him quiet too. Rarely vets have to put them back under anesthesia and do what called a scrotal ablation (remove the sack and flush out the blood) to relieve extreme cases of discomfort. Sorry again for long delay.

upstate family and Orchid like this.
  4. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Thats nothing that should be tried at home either...:eek:

5. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Here's the easy answer: Call the vet that did it and ask.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I did on the following Monday.

However, this was originally posted on a Saturday and, knowing that sea-piner is a veterinarian, I thought I could get a quick answer by tagging him. Didn't realize he was on vacation, although he did give me a much more thorough answer than my own vet.

7. nhsummitmommy

nhsummitmommy New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Some vets offer implants to refill the area to make your dog still look "manly" this is usually an elective service and costs more but maybe it's a part of the neuter package (no pun intended ). Call the vet and ask.

8. amberckaufman

amberckaufman New Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Wrightwood, ca
    I know this is a little late, but it was just swelling. I was a veterinary tech for 5 years before kids. We literally remove the entire testicle, nothing is left. The site can swell pretty good for a few days or even weeks afterward, but when that subsides, it will just be a little skin back there. No actual testicles. :)

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We always get ours "fixed" but I guess it was the old fashion way as there was nothing down there, We band out goats and this cuts the circulation off, and they eventually shrink to nothing, young bulls can also be banded too but some prefer to cut them off cattle and have fried mountain oysters for breakfast.