Never Use Awning

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by lackey2000, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:

How often do you use your pup's awning?

1. All the time - I ain't afraid of no wind!

53.5%
  2. Sometimes - gotta check the weather first.

23.3%
  3. Very rarely - it takes very little to rip that awning off.

23.3%
  1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Next season? It's only August. There's a lot of camping yet to be done this season. [:)C]

lackey2000 and neighbormike like this.
  2. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I never use the awning. Eventually, I just took it off to reduce weight and to keep it in good condition for eventual re-sale should I move to a hard sided camper some day. I just felt it was too much trouble bringing it out and back in when I was only camping for 2-3 nights and usually by myself or with friends who don't camp much. My easy-up is lighter and quicker to set up, plus it has a bug out screen.

lackey2000 likes this.
  3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I had awnings on my first 3 popups I have owned. The first one, the awning was blown over to top of popup during thunderstorm in Myrtle Beach. The 2nd one, the awning came off and landed 25 feet away when I was away and I glued it back on the following week and it stayed on for a couple more years. now with my 3rd popup, nothing happened to the awning. I plan to buy weights with rope to hold down awning but even though weights or stakes can hold awning but the question, will the base of awning hold on the roof?

lackey2000 likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The first few years of owning our pup we would use the awning when we camped but most of the time we ended up rolling it up at during the night due to heavy winds. Nowadays we really don't use it since we have an EZ-Up canopy. At least on that thing to remove to fabric canopy takes less than a minute if it gets really windy.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

In being on this forum for ~5 years, it's clear to me that not all awnings are created equal. People talk about how difficult to install, parts getting lost, etc. My Trimline awning has no loose parts, and I can set it up in < 2 minutes with a helper (usually one of my sons), or <5 minutes by myself (it's a little awkward). I've watched people put up "EZ ups" and it takes them much much longer. Plus you don't get the dry space or shade right in front of your camper.

But personal preferences... I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you like :)

myride, Natureangel and neighbormike like this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    We always use it with the screen room it becomes our kitchen.

myride likes this.
  7. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    This happened to me too except we WERE camping, it was 2 AM, and it was a driving rainstorm. My husband brings 2 pairs of jammies on trips now cuz it’s no fun getting soaking wet in the middle of the night trying to save the awning. Thank goodness for Eternabond. We use a canopy now-much easier to take down if storms are coming.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I discovered that during hard winds, I noticed that if awning was lowered a few feet, it would not be blown off. Once the storm or winds passed, I raised the awning back up.

BillyMc likes this.
  9. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    Fixing the awning in your PJs in the middle of a rainstorm does NOT sound like fun.

We still always use our awning, though. With tie-down cables attached it's much more secure. We also have a smaller awning on the back that attaches to brackets on the camper. Neither one is very hard to set-up or take down - takes just a couple minutes with two of us. It's nice having the shade to keep direct sun out of the camper and being able to keep screens open if it rains. We have a pop-up canopy if it ever comes to that, but that's just one more thing to haul and I prefer the awnings for now.

10. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    I agree. If you can get the leading edge of the awning low enough then instead of the wind getting caught under the awning and lifting it up from the bottom, it pushes down on the top and can go right up and over the camper without putting too much strain on the awning.