New AC for my Pup Advice

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by mrbruce38, Jul 25, 2017.

1. mrbruce38

mrbruce38 New Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I have an 04 Fleetwood Monterey. I installed a new Brisk II during winter and just took it out for the first hot weather trip. 15,000 BTU unit. I have to say I am completely unimpressed with it. First off even at night the compressor cycles off before it is really cool inside. I was going to try insulating the thermostat with something to keep the compressor on ( If anyone else has experienced this and you have a fix PLEASE let me know )

The second issue is the new style ceiling assembly. There is no ducting in it. When you open up the rear vent all the air comes out that and very little gets blown forward. If I can figure out the thermostat I guess I will have to build my own ducting inside it or buy one of the old style assemblies. If not I am going to buy another unit, either a Coleman Mach 15 or the Atwood Air Command

During my trip I was only running the AC and the fridge so I was pulling about 20 amps on a 30 amp service.

2. mrbruce38

mrbruce38 New Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Looks like I corrected a few things. First I moved the thermostat sensor away from the fins and towards the intake. Seems like the compressor keeps running until it gets to a comfortable temp like it should.

Second, what a garbage design the ceiling assembly is. As I already stated the rear vent takes up all the air flow. I took some 1/16 inch plastic and hot glued it in some places. Frist was the rear vent, I covered 3/4 of the hole. Then I used the same plastic and covered the little finger holes on the side vents ( I didn't want to do anything that could not be undone later if needed ) Now I have fairly good air flow for the front vent but can still open the vent to the dinette or galley if I want.

I also noticed the hole for the wire from the roof unit to the ceiling assembly was leaking pretty good. I used some standard foil AC tape on it and anywhere else I could feel cool air leaking to the intake. Still, pretty bad when you have to mod a new AC unit. Dometic should have thought the ceiling assembly through more than 12 seconds when designing it. My brother put a Carrier on his 05 Niagara a few years ago and than thing kicks butt. Next time it's either a Coleman or the Atwood Air Command