New lift cable going in tomorrow. '16 Rockwood Premier.

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by MintHillBill, Nov 28, 2018.

1. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Will post details and pics after done.
    Bill

2. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    New lift cables on a 2 year old pup? Curious as to what happened?

neighbormike likes this.
  3. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Jun 11, 2008
    You want details ! here you go., Bought camper used in Sept. Everything works OK.except water lines (never used and filter found in sink with cellophane wrapper). Left Battery ON for a couple of weeks, then went to raise and D E A D. So I jumped it But did not double check polarity and since battery was really dead, no sparks when i connected reverse. Ran the winch up and it took a while to start,(i should have realized then) then it started slowing down then BANG. Cable broke. I had run winch backwards and cable jammed on winch which bent winch frame and several other winch parts before breaking cable. so temp fix I used a short piece of new cable with cable clamps to remaining winch cable and repaired winch enough to work, while I ordered new cable ($45), and winch ($375). So today I installed new parts, I'll make a webpage of process. Took 69 year old ME, working alone 2 hrs to replace the cable and another hour for the winch. 20 mins of that was disconnecting the splice I made and attach string to end so I could pull new cable thru tube. will post link to webpage when done. it will highlight hard parts and mistakes I made (1). That includes jacking and lowering trailer.

4. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Jun 11, 2008
  5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    And no buckets involved....

6. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    Nice writeup. Luckily you didn't have to do it a second time, but trust me, it's a lot faster the second time (Goshen sent me the wrong cable first time around).

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I was told by another pup owner that after he replaced one of his cables on his 1984 StarCraft, he ended up having some problems because the new cable was not stretched like the others. He had to keep an eye on the new cable and adjust it until it stretched out.

8. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Jun 11, 2008
    but my balance is messed up more than ever.

9. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Jun 11, 2008
    thanks, i'll watch it. cable is pretty stout though.

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I know that it does sound odd that a cable can stretch. While I was reading your reply, I remembered that when I had a bay window installed in my house a few years ago, the installers said that they hang bay windows with chains instead of cable because of the stretching issue. And that is a very short cable length!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018