New Rockwood sideboards installed

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by rolodetective, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Few dealers will tackle roof repairs such as these and fewer customers are willing to pay shop rates to get them fixed. Given the overall condition of your roof and sideboards, if they were willing to help you, the dealer would most likely recommend a full roof replacement but that would likely cost you over $2000. If you were take that route, the bulk of the expense would go toward the roof and less would be spent on labor.

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Raise the roof high enough so you can get inside to brace the ceiling and take the weight off the side boards and lift posts.
    [*]Remove the top edge roof trim and corner caps.
    [*]Remove the lift post bolts and anything else that's surface mounted on the side boards.
    [*]Remove the tenting from the inside of the sideboards and unzip/disconnect the bunkend canvas as applicable.
    [*]Remove the screws that hold the bottom trim in place.
    [*]Remove the screws and staples that hold the side board to the edge of the roof and the side board should drop right off.
    [/list]
    At this point, you can try to remove the bottom trim then the aluminum skin from the sideboard so that you can reuse it or you can order new sideboards from the manufacturer and simply install those. Personally, I'd contact the manufacturer and order new ones unless the shipping fees prove to be to costly. You can save a bundle if you go and pick them up at the factory but that's not at all convenient for most people.

It's not a question of material per se, it's more an issue of improper maintenance or outright neglect in maintaining the caulking on the roof edge trim, bottom edge trim, center seam (where applicable), surface mounted items, corner caps, cuts and pinholes in the roof skin, leaks around the roof vent and in some cases, a leaking roof edge seal. The caulking requires yearly inspection and repair or replacement every couple of years but in truth, that's something few owners pay attention to. Regardless, if those are all well maintained and in good condition, you're simply not going to have a problem.

There are a great many threads clearly explaining how to replace side boards/end boards and many more showing how members have rebuilt their entire roofs. It's not a project for the feint of heart though, so be sure to read a few roof restoration, side board/end board replacement threads to get a better idea of what you're facing.

Use the search link at the top of the page to find a few related threads and see if this is something you might be able to do yourself. Additionally, take a look at the "How it's Made" video to see how your roof is constructed. Note that, although the brand and model may differ from yours, they're really all very similar in construction and materials anyway.

http://youtu.be/gUIT-scg4bs?t=3m12s

2. Nfhl1tom

Nfhl1tom New Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Just wanted to share my experience with Rockwood here this past month (August 2016). I was in need of sideboard replacement and was encouraged by the positive comments about Rockwood's service and close proximity. I figured I could drive over (about three hours away) early one morning get it done and come home. I contacted Deb Remsa (?) at Rockwood, she was very kind and easy to work with. I had previously talked with Kathy Swope concerning just the side boards and there are still available for under $50 each, even for the 12'. Much like everything else in the world, pricing and labor have gone up. The shop labor rate is now $85/hr (not unreasonable but more than previously quoted $65). The estimate was for 6 hours plus parts. It couldn't be scheduled until after Labor Day weekend (which I understand but was hoping for before that.
    So, with the increased pricing and delayed repair opening I decided to do it myself. Back to Kathy and she had them here in three weeks, but the shipping cost (out of their control) was $110 for a three hour trip west. A little disappointed in the cost of shipping, but they got here no problem and are a perfect match and fit. Overall very happy with service and quality of product and would recommend these kind people to anybody.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your experience and glad to hear you got it all worked out.

Everybody needs to make a buck but you're preachin' to the choir with regard to the exorbitant shipping fees. Having looked into this myself, shipping fees are the only things preventing me from ordering replacement sideboards for my Viking.

4. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    Still, $200 for a pair of sideboards isn't bad. Too make them you need a sheet of plywood, contact cement, vinyl flashing, dowels, wood glue. It all adds up plus the time is still considerable in measuring and then building them. The factory ones also have the interior decorative paper on them as well, though I realize it's usually covered with the valence.

5. Patrickandjaimie

Patrickandjaimie New Member

Nov 16, 2016
    This is an awesome thread, as I just bought a 1996 flagstaff. It does have some soft spots on the sideboards so I will be looking into replacing those.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Sarah L.

Sarah L. New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    I recently bought a 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1980 and then discovered it had a rotten sideboard(door side). After reading on this forum it seems like a common problem. I ordered a sideboard from Kathy at Forest River and replaced it and part of the back board as well. After I replaced everything the winch will not go down. It will go up but not down and I had to manually lower it. It lowered fine manually. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And how to fix it. Thanks in advance!!

7. kingbain

kingbain New Member

Jul 3, 2016
    can you share the contact info for rockwood ? What do you mean you lowered it manually ?

8. Sarah L.

Sarah L. New Member

Jul 16, 2017