New use for patio mat

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by CO Hiker, Dec 30, 2018.

1. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    While I've been fortunate to be away camping and witness the two big hail storms we've had in CO the last two years from the other side of Pikes Peak, I did stumble on another use for my outdoor mat. After our last trip this summer, I washed down the 9x12 polypropylene mat we bought at CW, and laid it out over the PU to dry. I threw the camper cover over the top too because we had another storm rolling in that afternoon and I figured the weave will allow enough airflow to both dry the mat and keep the camper roof from getting mildew. The poly mat has enough give in it that I watched quarter sized, clear, hail stones bounce off the roof of the camper. The great news is that it wasn't the golfball/baseball size hail that destroyed our house in 2016. The good news is that the cover and roof of the camper had no damage to them at all. The weave of the mat held up fine and I just may buy another mat, cut it to size, and keep it under the cover when the PU is parked.

megcabra, Byrd_Huntr, generok and 2 others like this.
  2. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's great! But how did you keep your car safe from the hail?? :)

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yep, my camping patio mat has always been my plan of action to cover my TV in case of hail.

4. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    I'm one of the few people in our neighborhood that can actually put their cars in the garage ;)

Fless and Koalavan like this.
  5. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh I missed the 'after the trip' part and thought you were talking about while you were on a trip [:I] Still a great idea for if caught in a storm. I mentioned it to Mr K and we had some ideas for ourselves if caught in a storm like that.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Great idea, the roofs of RV's and vehicles catch heck from hail thanks for sharing this idea.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    This is a good suggestion, I just tried it and putting the cover on was even easier.