New Yak

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by nineoaks2004, Apr 9, 2018.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have sold my 17 Ft. aluminum canoe, but kept the 12' solo canoe and ordered a 10 ft SOT which I will rig for fishing, I believe I can carry it in the bed of my truck tilted over the tailgate while hooked to the TT if not I will make a rack for it to go on top of the truck. When the DW goes we always take the boat and she pulls it with her PU. The SOT it is light enough for me to handle alone (only 52 LBS) and lately I end up camping with one of our chihuahua (Pebbles) . I have had several river yaks, but they were not fun for fishing as my knees are pretty bad after 75 years of mis -use :) and do not bend as well as they once did (neither does the rest of me). I figure I can also use it for hunting during the season too, less walking in the swamps I hunt in.

jnc likes this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Very cool! Hope you get lots of use out of it! Hoping to finally try my kayak this summer - been hanging in the garage since I bought it [V]

3. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have yakked before they become the "thing to do" but age has it's rewards and sometime hopefully will it's not so much of a reward to look forward to.. This is my first fishing yak rigged and also my first SOT but I cannot pull my boat and TT at the same time so I am giving it a shot with a 10 footer . I have a 12' Old Town Solo canoe but it is to long to just prop up in the bed and is not as stable as the Yak for fishing, I still plan to do a river trip in it a couple of times a year
    If it does not work out as I plan I can always sell it in the future, or give it to one of the grand kids or GGkids. Good Luck and Happy Camping

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    HF has a ladder rack for the pickup, $89.99 and with 20% off I will pick one up this week, It can be removed when not needed. I talked to my son and he will assist (more like do most of the work) me in installation. I think it will be a little higher over the cab than I want so we will probably cut it down. solves my problem of having the DW to bring my equipment over to a campground and then coming back to pick me up. I can /will carry the yak or canoe and still tow the TT to my destination..I have already started "Making the Yak my own" :) first was to fill in the drain holes , especially under the seat, no need to keep a wet butt all the time, even in summer.:)

neighbormike likes this.