Newbie freaking out...

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mountaineerFAN1, Aug 8, 2018.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Congratulations :). Hope the storms weren't too bad!

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  2. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    WV
    Do I turn off the power of I’m going to be out most of the day hiking??

3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Mountaineer.. welcome to the Portal.

Sounds like you are having an adventure within an adventure. You sound like I did in the beginning..

. LOL ENJOY YOURSELF!!! I am learning that those PUPS are tougher than they look.. : )

quote: Do I turn off the power of I’m going to be out most of the day hiking??

Just wondering WHY would you turn the power off?

Unless maybe you just want to conserve energy for the campground you are in?

I would think? that would be a question that only you can answer.

Do you have a fridge? Is it really HOT or COLD where you are...

Are you having electrical problems maybe?

A lot of variables.

Enjoy your hiking trip.. and your adventures..

Hi from South Carolina..

donna...

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Nice to have you here with us Mountaineer. If you put some serious pressure on those jacks, your camper with move around less. Having said that, we quit using our jacks when we decided the wiggle wasn't a bother with our little camper. Go figure. We always turn the power off on our unit when we leave*

* sarcasm alert, since we have no power in our unit....

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . I turn off devises I am not using, but will keep the power on. I like to double check the stove gas is turned off and if I'm not using the gas for the fridge, sometimes turn it off from the source. I'm just a little nervous about propane after a propane leak I had when I got back from an extended hiking trip. More likely what happened is when I was away all day some kids must have been unscrewing lines I just didn't know that at the time. My hiking trips though were all day excursions.

6. mountaineerFAN1

Jul 6, 2018
    WV
    Yes it’s an adventure!!! I hate the outdoors, bugs, critters, frizzy hair, etc etc. but I decided last year I LOVE my kids more than I hate all of it, so I joined them tenting last summer, with a power pack-air mattress-and all the cushy things I could fit in my car of course.

A family member was upgrading and letting this popup go. So we grabbed it. It sounded way more glamorous than reality. I have a LOT to learn. And I thought the little checklist I pulled off here plus my manual would solve all the camping worlds problems! Lol!!

At least I’m learning to laugh at myself. Keep the advice coming.

I asked about power because I had no clue if it was “safe” to leave plugged in when unoccupied. I guess I was worried about power surge or something. Thank you for easing my fears.

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Leave the power on, you paid for it.
    Those thick sand pads under the levelers make a big diff. I went so far to build a triangle wood jack wheel receiver too.

8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    LOL..

quote: I hate the outdoors, bugs, critters, frizzy hair, etc etc.

Well now that sounds familiar.. LOL

West Virginia huh? Yep those bugs and critters add an extra delight to the camping don't they?.. LOL

My hubby is my best defense against the bugs.. they prefer him over me.. lol

I am certain your children are going to LOVE camping...

I remember our first night camping well.

My hubby being a bit on the big side. Rolled over on the other bunk and I felt it, shook me out of my sleep.. lol .. I wasn't expecting that, but soon came to realize it was ok.

I may have missed this in the comments?

Are you using anything under your Stabilizers? And do remember they are not meant to take the weight off your tires..

Have fun.. build great memories with your children!!!!

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Sand pads on the stabilizers do help on some surfaces, they give more area touching the ground. We also use the lynx leveler blocks under the stabs on most surfaces, which helps keep them from sinking, and adds to the stability. If the slope of the site warrants, we use more than one - the less the stabs like we have are extended, the more stable they seem to be.
    Wheel chock or a Lynx block under the foot plate on the tongue jack is helpful. Well placed chocks - we use a rubber hammer on some places to really set them.

Part of the issue is the difference with being in a small wooden box and on the ground or in a building. Vibrations are just more noticeable. At home, we live on a concrete slab foundation - after years of living in the house, I now really notice vibrations from footfalls, etc. when I'm in a building that's not on a slab.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    As for some movement in the pup, just make sure the wheel chocks are in tight and the stabs are down snug (not using them as levelers). We have some movement when someone rolls over in their bunk, it's normal. I think of how it was tent camping and I have no problem with a little movement!

Now as for turning off power to the pup. If we plan on being away all day I don't shut the power off. But, I do shut the water off. I have seen things at campgrounds where folks are away all day and something bursts. Seen this more than once! We've come back after a day out and find a camp neighbor with water running from their rig from underneath or a burst fresh water hose and had to turn the water off and informed them when they returned. The few times we shut their water off it was a burst fresh water hose. Usually find the hoses were a little past their prime and should have been replaced.

11. mountaineerFAN1

Jul 6, 2018
    WV
    Wow! We didn’t even try water this trip. Or the propane grill. Stove thingy. Just open campfire cooking. Which was fun in the rain.
    My scout children built a platform of firewood and cardboard then started the kindling before adding a few dry logs on top. It popped and hissed but we had fire!

12. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Remember camping is supposed to relieve stress, not cause it. Don’t sweat the small stuff, chillax and enjoy.

mountaineerFAN1, Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  13. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    In addition to the onboard stabilizers, I usually deploy 4 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympi...D=41CN1Lw%2B6UL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Crank them up to the point that they make contact with the underside of the frame, then a half-turn or so more. Takes a lot of the bounce an sway away. My pup is small and only has stabilizers on the rear, so I put one of these in each front corner, then one near the door and the last mid-way down the opposite side. Of course that is all dependant on the parking pad being level enough to fit all 4. Sometimes grade will force me to skip one or 2 of them. There have been times where I have had everything 'just right' and we never felt any movement inside the pup.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I leave the electric on. My A/C runs 24/7 when I am camping. I do turn the water off. Every year I seem to find another leak from a loose fitting or something that I need to fix at camp, so I would rather just turn it on when I am in the camper.

15. mountaineerFAN1

Jul 6, 2018
    WV
    Thank you again for helping us overcome the first night in a campground! I think we’re more ready for round two.

emoney likes this.
  16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    You’ll be “old salts” before you know it

17. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Welcome to the popup world!

I used to hear complaints about how unstable the camper was, so I did a couple of things.

First: I built little stands for the stabilizers to sit on. I made them out of pieces of 4X4. This helped a little, as the stabilizers seem to to a better job when they are not completely extended.

Next: I built an additional stabilizer system out of 2X4's and ratchet straps. The 2X4s are cut to size and shape, and have a hole drilled into them. 2 go on the front and 2 on the back. Place two of them on the front two corners. Brace them against the frame and under side of floor. Attach the ratchet straps to each one and tighten it up. Repeat for the rear. It's quick and easy, and it is VERY stable. I wish I could take credit for this, but I found it on the internet.

Attached Files:

18. mountaineerFAN1

Jul 6, 2018
    WV
    Both are very
    Cool!!!

Folsoml likes this.
  19. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area