newbie here

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by JWaid, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JWaid

JWaid New Member

Hi all! I just got a new to me 1995 Starcraft Stardust 1021. This is our first camper experience. For whatever reason we can not figure out this fridge. The Previous owner says that it worked fine, but you never know. We are CLUELESS about what to try ect. Please let me know any tips you may have. I would like to use it just off electric when hooked up, I do not plan on ever camping anywhere without electric hookup. Also, dont really need it to work when driving ect. I jsut want a basic, plug it in while camping and it keep things cool type deal. Should be easy... right?!?!

Help me.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Your Stardust is obviously bigger than my 2008 StarCraft 14R/T POPUP... With us the small fridge is only good for a few cold drinks. It doesn't even have a freezer compartment...

What we do is use one of those large COLEMAN 5-DAY Ice chest in the back of the truck bed... Fill with ice and have a small plastic container with lid to put our meats and thing in... Does rather well for up to three days... Then we need to locate more ice haha...

This is what my the back of truck looks like with the tailgate dropped...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I have been thinking about getting one of the $60 ice makers from WALMART... Don't know if I could make enough ice cubes to keep me from heading back into town to get more ice or not...

We also tend to camp-off grid more than staying at campground with electric hookups...

Like to be self sustained for four to five days...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

You most likely have a 3-way gas absorption manual light fridge that will run on propane gas, 12 vdc while towing, or 120 vac while camping on an electric site. This is not a compressor fridge and will take considerable time to cool down adequately, as much as 24 hrs, so don't think you can just power it up when you set up and it'll be ready to use not long after. Most will precool the fridge before starting out on their trip, then run it either on 12 vdc or gas while towing.

4. BrianRosenthal

BrianRosenthal Member

If you can't find the fridge's make and model, post a photo of the control panel, and I'm sure someone here has some experience with it.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday