Newbie to towing

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Mheato, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Mheato

Mheato New Member

Apr 9, 2017
    High All! we were at a show this weekend and fell in love with a coleman popup. it had a dry weight of 3000lbs . Neither of our vehicles (highlander/mazda cx9) have tow packages both indicating a capacity of 2000 lbs. Both the salesman and the installer said that adding a weight distributer with sway bar and hitch and our vehicles would be fine. We wont be towing far more than a few hours and it wouldnt be up large mountains etc but this still sounds like a reach to me. were they trying to make a sale here or does what they said make sense?

2. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Central, IL
    Of course a salesman said it was fine lol. It's not his family that is 1000 pounds over the tow capacity. A weight distribution hitch doesn't give you more towing capacity. It distributes the weight to the front of the vehicle. But you still have the same towing capacity. So, you either need to find another camper within you vehicles tow limit or find another tow vehicle. Oh, and maybe a different salesman.

GGood luck with your search!

neighbormike likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I am guessing the Salesman and installer work at the same dealership. Believe if it were me I would go find a different dealer. Good luck!

4. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    Doesn't work that way. Remember, 3000 lbs dry is bare bones. The propane bottle does not even count for that number. By the time you are loaded with all of your gear you are probably looking at about 3500 - 3750 lbs.

5. Mheato

Mheato New Member

Apr 9, 2017
    thanks all, told me what i knew in my head just wanted to be wrong lol, we'll keep searching.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    If both your potential vehicles have a low tow rating of 2000lbs, you have to find a very very light trailer, not impossible but very difficult.. My suggestion, would be to find a more capable tow vehicle, at least something that has 3500lbs at minimum .. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear...

neighbormike likes this.
  7. rerspain

rerspain Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    What year Highlander? Mine is a 2010 and that year they all had the towing prep package. Bolt on the hitch receiver and plug in the 4 pin connected, they have tranny cooler and oil cooler and can tow 5000 with brakes.
    If you look at Toyota forums they will tell you how to see if you have the towing prep package. When I researched, the only diffrrence between the 2000 lb towing and the 5000 lb towing on the 6 cyclinder was the tranny and oil cooler.

But also with 3000 lbs dry weight and then add gear you would be close to the 5000 limit.

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Moving the camper is one thing, stopping it is another, especially in a emergency situation, trust me you don't want a trailer pushing you through the intersection, scary to say the least, both your vechiles are not capable. What type of Coleman? 3000 pounds dry. , probably looking at a 10 0r 12 foot box, maybe a small 8 footer could be possible under 2000, I pulled a 3500 pound trailer with a 5500 tow rated vechile, and often wondered if I was still to close. Dry weight are fictious, time you add up food coolers, gear, battery, and people. You will be over weight. Trust me .

jmkay1 likes this.
  9. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    As mentioned, I'd suggest taking another look at your Highlander's specs. I don't own one, but my partner a work does and his is 5k tow rated. Pulls his RPod all over the state with it.

10. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I would also be surprised if your Mazda could not possibly have a higher tow rating. It has the same running gear as my wife's edge and I believe it can tow 3500 lbs. Not that we do,i have a super duty for that. Still not enough to tow a 3000 lb camper, but it would open up some more options to you.

11. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca

My 2015 Nissan Frontier King Cab has towing capacity of 4700lbs.....what's the max weight for PUP?
    Thanks, I found the answer

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Look, the Highlander will be capable of towing that pop-up. It has a 2000lb tow rating NOW because it doesn't have some of the factory equipment that will allow it to tow more. But this is all equipment that you can install:

Auxillary Transmission oil cooler (definitely recommended)
    Powersteering cooler (maybe)
    Class III hitch (must have)
    brake controller (must have)

Install those things, and you should be just peachy. If you find that your rear suspension is sagging too much when trailer is hitched and loaded, then you can consider a weight distributing hitch, as well as airbags.

13. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Dry weight, Gross weight (maximum fully loaded) will be on a plaque attached to the trailer.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Still won't be close to 3500lbs.. For one most factory hitches are installed as part of the rear cross member, an after market hitch never will be. Second.. Vehicle will have programming from the factory for things to shift differently and third might not be as applicable to all vehicles (specially ones with very poor tow ratings) final drive ratios could be different with a factory tow package..

Not all vehicles and not all pups can use a WDH ..

The GVWR = the max. weight trailer can weight.. Use this number when shopping for a trailer, NOT the FICTITIOUS DRY WEIGHT..

15. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca

Thanks GBA

16. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Sorry Snow, gotta disagree with ya there. A manufacturer will not make a vehicle markedly different just because it has a tow package. A vehicle such as the highlander will use the same transmission and transmission programming with or without a tow package. A trailer hitch from the factory will be installed in much the same way as an aftermarket trailer hitch, in most cases being bolted to a structural part of the unit body. And again, they're not going to use different parts just for a vehicle with a tow package. Final drive in a vehicle like the highlander is determined by the transaxle, which will remain the same. A tow package on most vehicles (the exception being pickup trucks and other body-on-frame vehicles) will merely be comprised of a few accessories, like an aux trans cooler, electrical harness, hitch, etc. All of this can be added after market, meaning you have effectively added a tow package.

Take my van, for example. The ONLY things a Grand Caravan does differently with a tow package is:
    Nivomat load-leveling rear suspension - fixed with airbag installation
    Trailer hitch - fixed with after market trailer hitch
    wiring harness - fixed with after market wiring harness.
    Heck, they don't even install a different auxillary oil cooler. So, the van I bought used didn't have the factory tow package, but I added all of the above, and voila! Capable of pulling my 2500lb (loaded) pop up with ease.

Most vehicles can use a WDH, as long as you have the proper type of receiver (class III or better). If a PUP is 3000lbs dry, then it damn well SHOULD be able to use a WDH. If not, airbags over the rear axle of the vehicle are always an option.

17. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca

Got it [:D]

18. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Save the money you'd spend on making your daily driver marginally safe when towing and buy yourself an old Ford or Chevy 1/2T. Either will be wayyy better at towing than your grocery-getters could ever dream of being. You'd be surprised how much TRUCK you can buy for $1500. For the record, if you're planning on having a shop install all those goodies on your current vehicle, it'll be about the same as buying a used truck. Spent $1800 on my 1987 3/4T Chevy the day before I left town for a new job. Had to live in my Pup until I could find permanent housing and wanted to have my dirtbike with me, so my daily driver sold off. A year and 15k miles later, I still use the truck almost daily [put&pu]. Hasn't let me down yet!

19. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Unless somebody is very mechanically minded and willing to put in a lot of time fixing and replacing parts, a $1500 truck is the last thing I would recommend. This isn't Roadkill, you know.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  20. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Again, you'd be surprised what it will buy when you know what to look for. Roadkill is about drama and recruiting watchers to the show (which I love!). Haven't had to spend on dime on my truck for things that HAD to be replaced. Just did the usual maintenance items as needed.