Newbie to towing

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Mheato, Apr 9, 2017.

1. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Look, I seriously doubt that somebody who owns two late model CUV's is going to be the kind of person interested in buying a clapped out 1980's truck for $1500.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    A lot of unibody vehicles cannot use a WDH.. Any trailer with an open "C" channel frame can't use them either.. Our Palomino which had a GVWR of over 3000lbs was like this..

One more thought.. The OP's vehicles are V6's or 4 cylinder engines ??

3. GreatBigAbyss

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    The Highlander will be a V6, and the CX9 is a turbo-4.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Highlander would make the better TV IMO then..

5. GreatBigAbyss

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    I agree with that. Lots of people use Highlanders and Pilots to tow smaller travel trailers. They can easily handle pop-ups, even HW pop-ups.

6. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Some vehicles also require an update to the on board computer. I added an OEM (mopar) hitch and wiring harness to my first Jeep. Trailer wouldn't charge and turn signals wouldn't function properly until I had the dealer update the computer.

7. Sharpie

Sharpie Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    The major difference in towing capcity with the Highlander is between 2 and 4wheel drive. You did not state the year of either SUV. I did do research on the newer Highlanders can tow up to 3500 lbs with electric brakes. I had a Toyota RAV 4 with the 3.5l v6 and 4wheel drive and had the tow package. It could tow 3500lbs. That included tranny cooler, I wired the lights with plug and play system from Drawtite. And had electric brake controller installed at the locale trailer shop They also installed the hitch as the dealer was way over priced for their hitch. I later found out that they go to the same trailer shop as I do for hitches. Take a look in the Mazdas owners manual as I just googled it and it said it could tow 3500lbs as all the models are AWD. Just my 2 cents.

8. popupmtber

popupmtber Member

Apr 4, 2018
    The Highlander could be an I4, though. That was an option up until 2007. It was rated up to 3k pounds. Crazy as it was the same engine and transmission as in my RAV4, which is only rated up to 1,500 pounds. Didn't think that a transmission cooler would make that much difference. Well, that and more vehicle weight and thus larger brakes.