No hot water to shower

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bedanutz, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    So I've peruved for answers to this question, not sure whats going but anyway here we go.

So we have a 99 Starcraft starmaster and we love it, I've updated the floors, painted the cabinets, added new hardware and refinished the countertops with countertop paint and it looks great.

Anyway long story short, ours has the shower/toilet combo and for whatever reason, after firing up the hot water heater we get hot water from the sink but not the shower...I followed the pex lines that come from the shower and couldn't find a shut off anywhere. we get cold water just no hot.

I've never tried using the water pump and water tank as we always have hookups where we usually camp, but it doesn't seem to make sense that it wouldn't work when connected to city water...unless there is a shut off directly at the hot water heater.... but if I remember correctly it branchess with a T off of the sink (not positive it's closed and stored right now), so what gives? do I need a new faucet? it seems like the hot handle turns just fine and I think the valve is oppening when it turns....am I missing something?

Help! We're hoping to get her out and cleaned up for the first trip of the season and I want to work on a better solution to drainage, but can't work on that until I figure this out.

Thanks Guys!

2. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    If there's a little metal lever on the back of the shower head, that's a trickle valve. IIRC straight in line with the handle is full on and slightly to one side is the trickle setting. It's to allow you to take "navy showers" without having to readjust the faucet settings.

Bedanutz likes this.
  3. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    So the original shower head was missing when I bought it, i bought a generic showerhead that fit that doesn't have the trickle option, so it shoulf flow regardleas I think.

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Yeah that wouldn't be it then. Do you get no flow at all or only cold water with the hot on and cold off. Then again, what do you get with the cold on and the hot off, I've seen plenty of faucets that were plumbed backwards.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    when you turn only cold you get cold? what happens when you only turn on hot water at the shower?

6. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Turn on only cold I get cold, turn on only hot i get nothing, not even the sound of any pressure. Just like turning a knob at a display in a store.

Its kind of driving me nuts, especially being closed up and not easily accessible to try and fix.

7. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Cold gives me cold, hot gives me nothing.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    It almost sound like you have water bypass valves on your hot water tank that are set to bypass. Is the campe new to you. Have you ever used the shower.

If this is not it, you need to follow the hot water line from ene to end to find a valve or kink.

9. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Thinking it has to be in the shower control itself. These things are super cheap so it's hardly worth trying to do a repair.

10. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    So this will be our second full season, and honestly i didn't put too much effort into finding a kink, im almost 100% positive there is a bypass valve at the hot water tank, that said, th reason I haven't seen it is because the water tank is fully enclosed from the inside, but I think im going to have to undo a seat to check it out as its just to the left of the sink under a seat that doesn't hinge open like the others. ( maybe its a good excuse to add a hinged seat to add access to the hot water tank from the inside.)

11. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    If its in the shower control then ill just replace it. I'm gonna hunt it down this weekend.

12. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    This was my first thought when I read this thread originally. However, I didn't post my opinion, because I don't think it's the case. Primarily because ...
    If the water heater were on bypass, he wouldn't be getting hot water at the sink. I've been watching this one, hoping to learn something myself. If it does turn out to be a bypass valve, it was plumbed in the wrong place in the beginning.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Sounds like a shower faucet problem to me.

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    If it worked last season, and you didn't turn valves anymore than normal when winterizing., It has to be a shower faucet problem

15. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    X3, for shower faucet.

16. Bedanutz

Bedanutz Member

Sep 26, 2016
    It did not work last season, I didn't care to fix it as we were limited for camping time and all sites we stayed at had readily available showers in close proximity.

If it is a faucet problem or even just a overlooked shut off or bypass, then great, easy fix.