No jack or lug wrench!

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by tfischer, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I hope you have cell service and the tow truck has the proper size wrenches and a spare tire.

If you have a TV tire get damaged beyond fix a flat and no cell service I hope you don't wait to long for help to come to you.

Same with a flat on the pup.

I tow with a Saturn SL2 (small sedan) and even modified my spare tire well to fit a full size spare (can't tow with a doughnut). I keep a scissor jack, an 18v 1/2 drive impact, 2 breaker bars, 2 pup spares, 2 sockets (the pup uses 2 different sizes 3/4in and 13/16in) The TV and jack both use 3/4in sockets.

I want to be able to get back on the road and to the CG or Home ASAP.

2. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    If you have a used pup, make sure that the spare actually goes to your trailer. I learned that lesson the hard way when I blew out a tire in Washington, DC a few years ago on a Sunday morning with no shops open to get a new wheel and tire until Monday. I keep a 4-way lug wrench in the back of the truck as my utility trailer and boat both have different sizes. My truck has the standard bottle jack that I can use, but for road trips where I'm more than 30 miles from home I throw a floor jack in the back of the pickup as it's a lot easier to use if needed. I figure <30 miles from home I can leave the trailer on the side of the road and run home for additional equipment if needed.

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    That could be a big problem, at least one shop I have been to recently had a sign they wouldn't work on "slimed" tires. But guess you could get to the tire shop to get a new tire.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I have a scissors jack from a Crown Vic. To be honest, I need to find another one, as I'd like to have a second. They are great jacks and cheap at the junk yard. I carry 4-way lug wrench too.

5. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    So I actually ended up pulling my tire off this weekend to replace my brake assembly (The source of all my braking problems it seems).

Anywhoo... I learned that a 1/2 inch socket wrench did not give me enough torque to get the lug nuts off, and I did not want to use my torque wrench (Much Longer handle) to try an get them off. I ran down to AutoZone (Car Parts store around here) and bought this for $15:
    [​IMG]
    The handle telescopes out to 27" long, and has all of the lugnut sizes on my trailer (Spare and wheels).

Moral of the story, try out your solution before you trust it's going to work.

6. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    I have a small bottom jack and I take my battery powered impact gun.

7. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Inexpensive (HF) scissor jack, breaker bar, torque wrench, sockets for both size lugs. All in a little tool roll in the front storage trunk. Looking for a way to fashion an undercarriage bin for them all to live in.

8. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Having a full size truck space isn't a problem. I take a floor jack, lightweight aluminum one from harbor freight. For a lug wrench I use a long handle 1/2 ratchet and socket. I've never had to use them on a trip, but I goto areas where there's no cell service so having means to get myself out of trouble necessary

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I bring a lug wrench, My TV has a jack that I have tested. If I have time to wait, call AAA

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I just pick up a bottle jack with the handle/lug wrench and a carrying case at a salvage yard for $10.

11. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I carry a bottle jack, and a 4-way lug wrench. I strap the jack under the trailer frame inside its plastic case and forget about it.

If you buy a bottle jack, make sure that its range of motion accommodates the needs of your trailer.

It only takes being stranded once on I-70 in Southern Utah to make a believer out of a person. (I've never been stranded, but I guess I was born a believer.) The service call would be a lot more than $60 bucks along some of the roads that lead places like Arches, Bryce Canyon, Goblin Valley, etc.