No Leaks!!!

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by cztardust, Jun 28, 2019.

1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We had a bit an issue with the roof seal on our 76 Starcraft 8. Roof repairs were slightly off providing a gap that was a little bit more than the factory replacement seal would allow for in heavy storms or driving through them to our destination. Mattresses were getting soaked, etc. I used rubber wooden garage door seal to replace the factory seal and resealed the roof rails with Lexell wet/dry caulk and Flex seal tape on the corners... Just in the nick of time. Night before last we had a storm pass through our area that shook the house for an hour with rain and waves of hail. You know the tornado "train" sound... It was the first time we heard it up front, close and pounding on our house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We had waves of heavy rain and hail hit the front of the house so hard I was afraid the window glass might pop out of the frame. We got through the event fairly well (we lost our tv antenna tower) but the neighbors next door had their oaks pulled out of the ground. Once I got over the shock of seeing the new view from our backyard, I checked the pup... The garage door seal and Lexell worked like a charm. Everything perfectly dry. I really can't believe it.
    Just a footnote... Right next to our neighbor's downed trees is a big, rickety, old wooden shed I just did repairs to. Unbelievable how selective a storm can be. Even the neighbor looked in disbelief asking me "how this can happen?"
    Well, I can't answer that, but seeing what a storm can do, I will go forward with the thought of being able to close down the pup when camping and head for the shelter. Better than getting caught off guard during a storm.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Glad the seal worked, and I'm gladder your pup survived the storm. They seem to be tougher that they look sometimes, but folding up (IF you have time) and heading for shelter would be the prudent thing to do.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Weather has been different (for a better word) and these storms are really terrible,
    luckily that large did not fall on a house, we in the panhandle of Fl. are still trying to recover from the hurricane, and we still get heavy storms. Just luck that no one got hurt. Mother Nature will do as she pleases, when and where she wants and we must live with the results. Good luck