no lights on shore power

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jearly68, Oct 24, 2017.

1. jearly68

jearly68 New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    I have a 2002 Coleman sun valley and when battery is disconnected and running on shore power only, the over head lights do not work I checked fuses and circuit breakers all were good is my converter bad ?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Do you have a flip up sink in it? There is usually a kill switch that will keep the lights from working when it's flipped down.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    Does the outdoor porch light work? That is my test light since it is not in the circuit with the kill switch or the canvas harness. But is still a 12 volt light.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    On Colemans there are two connectors outside of the camper next to the canvas. I would check the one up on the roof line. Mine regularly comes undone and I have to climb up on a stool and reconnect it.

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

If your overhead lights work when you have a charged battery connected but don't when you disconnect the battery then your converter is most likely not outputting 12V. Confirm this by checking with an inexpensive voltmeter.

Bowman3d likes this.
  6. jearly68

jearly68 New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Thank you all for your responses
    will the sink switch kill the lights when on battery power

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Yes that is exactly what it is for. It prevents the lights from being on when closed. That prevents the lights from setting the camper on fire.

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Like SpeckHunter said if it works when battery is connected but not without the battery then it’s probably not the switch or connector. But I’d still check just for piece of mind.