No spindle washer?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by jm88, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I am replacing the bearings on my Coleman PUP. It does not have EZ lube spindles and has the castle nut with cotter pin holding it in place. When I removed the castle nut, there was no washer behind it. Anyways, doing a search for this situation, it sounds like most people have never heard of there being no washer between the outer bearing and the castle nut. The kit I bought from etrailer came with a tang washer but that doesn't apply to my situation. Just wondering if you guys have encountered this. Maybe I will give etrailer a call.

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    No trailer I've owned has had a spindle washer, so as long as the castle nut has enough threads to tighten up on the bearings, you are fine.

3. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Oh ok. I must have been reading info referring to something else. So the castle nut just goes right up against the outer bearing then?

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have 3 trailers. All have a washer under the nut.

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    As does mine with a dexter axle.
    Having a washer helps prevent the bearing from putting a turning moment on the nut (washer slips) which in turn can shear the split pin, resulting in a wheel coming off in the worst case scenario.
    If the split pin hole lines up with the bottom of the castleation, then you won't get a washer in.
    If the hole is up the top of the castleation and tending to be nearly at the top of the nut then a washer is definitely missing.

6. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    What is the split pin hole and what do you mean by it lining up with the bottom or top of the castleation? Thanks.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I think he is talking about the hole in the axle that the cotter pin goes through and the castle nut.

Basically, he is saying put on a washer and then see if the cotter pin will go thru the hole with the nut in place.

jnc likes this.
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    jnc likes this.
  9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    IMG_1557.JPG I have always had a tabbed washer that fit in the slots in the spindle.

Fbird, jnc and Haybale like this.
  10. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Others have replied but here is a quick and dirty diagram I knocked up.

jnc, vaderhater22 and Haybale like this.
  11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  12. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Thank you so much. You guys are awesome. I'll get around to it this weekend and see where the hole lines up, but that diagram from the manual seems to show it. Plus when I called etrailer, they said a washer is not needed in my application.

13. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Just thought I would report back on this. Etrailer did confirm there is no washer needed plus when I got the nut on, the hole is near the bottom of the nut so a washer wouldn't fit anyways.

14. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Sounds good jm88!

15. Wagon Wheel

Wagon Wheel New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Mi.
    i have a 92 Coleman Newport just did my bearing didn't have washer

16. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    some axles don't have washers, some do. in my experience more do than don't. as long as the nut can properly tighten the bearings and the cotter pin properly engages in the castle nut a washer isn't needed. my pup has washers, my utility trailer doesn't. the center of the bearing should not spin. that would wear the spindle down. the rollers are what spin. that's why the bearing and races are serviceable. those are the parts that move against each other.