no washer between castle nut and outer bearing

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by SpecialGreen, Jul 10, 2019.

1. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

I am looking into my pup's bearings for the first time. I have a 2002 Coleman SantaFe 10-foot with 7" e-brakes. The inner seal appears to be about 1.5" ID, 2.05" OD; the spindle is 1". According to ColemanPopUpParts, Coleman used a 1" spindle with 2"OD seal and 7" brakes on its smallest pups, and nothing else on the pup has been replaced, so I think it's the stock axle.

When I pulled-off the castle nut, I did not find any washer between the castlenut and the outer bearing. My first thought was that there is always either a D-washer or a washer with a metal tab that fits into a cutout groove on the spindle. But, looking at my spindle, it is clean threading with just the hole for the cotter pin. There is no cutout/groove, so a plain washer with 1" ID would fit, but a D-washer would not fit. So, as I think about it, I'm not sure what a plain washer would really accomplish: it would rotate freely around the axle. Maybe there is supposed to be no washer under this castle nut?

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

This is common for a lot of smaller axles. Put it back together and don't worry

Rusty2192 likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

What Joet said ^^^^^^^^

5. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

...or maybe worry. Plenty of grease. Outer bearing red, inner bearing muddy. looks like some material ground off the inside of the outer bearing:

https://tinyurl.com/y4ctmrcf
    There's some discoloration on the underside of the spindle. Races look good. inner bearing spindles are toasty tan, but not pitted. All in all, I think they deserve to be replaced. I will put some Honda Moly 60 or moly CV grease on the spindle.

FYI, my 2002 Coleman SantaFe 10' has bearings which I measure at 1.059" ID (probably L44649 1.063") and seals I measure at 1.5" ID. That looks like a match to this $12+s&h kit:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bearings-Races-Seals-Caps/etrailer/BK1-150.html
    (no idea if those bearings are good... but the ones I pulled out have no markings at all!)

When I look at the Coleman parts manual, I see a bearing kit for 7" brakes with p/n 4716-1101. According to http://www.popupportal.com/threads/replacement-bearings-in-coleman-fleetwood-shenandoah.64708/ , that would include:
    - L44649 bearing (1.063" ID, yes)
    - 13194TB seal (1.37" ID, doesn't match my spindle)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I will put some Honda Moly 60 or moly CV grease on the spindle.

Am not familiar with the Honda greases but any quality grease with a NGIL 2 rating and a drop point of at least 450 degrees or better is what's needed

]