No z amp outlet?

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by Popupdoc, May 1, 2018.

1. Popupdoc

Popupdoc New Member

May 1, 2018
    Hi all. Just bought a 3016 Rockwood freedom 2318g popup. It has a zamp ready sticker but I cannot find the outlet at all. Anyone else have this problem.

I also just bought a Coleman 100w solar panel and charge controller from Costco. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I had to Google Zamp to know what you're talking about, so I'm not going to be much help, but wanted to be the first to welcome you to the forum. [:)C]

3. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Look for a black port around the lower portion of the trailer. If not there then look on the roof. Here is a picture of the port. By the way Zamp is reversed polarity and you will need to change or reverse the black and red wire from the Solar Panel for it to work with the Coleman.
    [​IMG]

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota. I wish I had a solar ready pup.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If it is used, maybe the original owner removed it. Work back from the battery area and see if you can find the wiring. I would assume that the outlet was there somewhere if it was classified as "Zamp ready"; if the wring was there but not the plug, you'd think it would be "almost ready"
    Courtenay installed a Zamp outlet on our Retro, since they weren't yet standard when we bought it. At the time, 3 years ago, Zamp seemed to be the best choice for up-sizing our solar set-up. (Our previous one was Goal Zero, on the pup.) We haven't regretted it.

6. CamperJeff

CamperJeff New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    My Zamp plug is on the front frame rail of the camper, between the "A" arms that form the tongue. It's just a small black plug like in the photo above. It's not labeled and hard to find if you don't know what to look for. Hope this helps!

soft 17 and KamperKel like this.
  7. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

May 18, 2018
    Iowa
    Mines an ‘18 but I’d think it’s still in the same place.
    AEBD6662-7A86-4B5A-9A8C-CC7AA3367902.jpeg
    You can just see the sticker just above the battery box in this picture. Ignore the mess of wires along the frame, that’s how it came but I’m going to get some split loom to clean it up and clamps to hold it in place.

A4D47970-22F6-44EE-8499-8331AC27FC48.jpeg
    Closer

soft 17 likes this.
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    At least mine isn't the only one to suffer from shoddy wiring work.
    What I'm gathering is, Z Amp ready just means there is a plug on the front (that's wired backwards so you can't use it) and nothing else.
    No solar charge controller, just a plug and some bassackwards wiring. [?:~{]

Tylers88 and bearman512 like this.
  9. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

May 18, 2018
    Iowa
    Yea it’s crazy they let that go out the door but everything else seems solid so far.

10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    The wiring around my battery is a mess as well.
    When I first looked at it I thought maybe it just hadn't been taken care of since the battery was just installed.

Nope, sloppy is normal I guess. I'll have to fix it, if I don't it will drive me crazy.