Not an electrician but this seems relatively simple...

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Galaxy8tyMate, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Galaxy8tyMate

Galaxy8tyMate New Member

So I just purchased a StarCraft Galaxy 8 from the wife of a recently deceased buddy of mine. It was his project and now its mine. The converter doesn't work, so as I'm digging around I notice that the black wire coming in from the external power cord to the electrical doesn't connect to the breaker, the only wire coming to the breaker is goin directly to the transformer. Looking at the diagram, which admittedly is beyond my expertise, it looks like there is a missing black wire that should be goin to the other end of the breaker. Anyone with more knowledge able to help me out?

Attached Files:

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

When you snap the breaker in place the terminal is the hot feed. The load wire is what you are looking at.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. Fless

Fless Active Member

Watch this if you have any question about how to snap the breaker into place.

_

NMroamer likes this.
  4. tombiasi

Good video Fless but people who do this find it easier to pull the breaker and then take the wires off. Put the wires on the new breaker and then snap in.

5. zak99b5

zak99b5 New Member

Agree 100%. I would never remove the wire before pulling a breaker. I cringed when I saw him do it in the video.

6. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

That is the way a trained electrican does it.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

That is not the way a journeyman electrican does it.

8. jckele

jckele Member

As a journeyman electrician, I would prefer to remove the wire first & install last. There are times though when the load wire is so buried among others that it is impossible to remove first. Try terminating a #2 or larger and then install the breaker, not going to stay in place. It needs to be adjusted to fit before terminated to reduce stress on the breaker. Every situation is different.

NMroamer likes this.
  9. tombiasi

Agreed, but the wire shown in the video was a 12 or 14. I don't like banging a screw driver down between wire when I can easily access them with the breaker out.
    I didn't say it was a rule just that the ones I know would do it.

10. jckele

jckele Member

Actually after viewing the video, the biggest mistake I can't believe that the job is being done with the power on. Must be an old video cause no electrician I work with would do that. And if it were done live it would be with a full arc flash suit! Nothing is so important that the power can't be turned off