Note to self STAY OFF CL if you just bought a pup!!!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Haybale, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    So I'm cruising [RTM] craigslist while my son takes a nap. I search 'tent' and what do you know a 80's starcraft advertised for $150 because it has a flat tire.... Seems to be the same size/model as mine by the exact matching decals and hook-up locations.

All the ad says is "small tear on tarp but can be mended". But for $150 I could put a small amount of time/$$ and resell it??? [DUCT]

Do you think I should, or leave well enough alone?? [?]

Or maybe buy it and tow them in tandem, Patrick can have his own room and I can have my own. It'll answer that thread about how to do it with kids in a pup.... [LOL] [LOL]

That is a great deal even if the pop-up is shot.... [A]

2. Jean

Jean New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Personally, I would leave well enough alone. I know whenever I'm looking for ANyTHING on CL, I find that what's offered isn't exactly what's advertised. When a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. [2C]

Jean

3. jeffandeb

jeffandeb New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    If it's not too far I would take a look, why not? You never know. We found our pup on CL two years ago and love it :)

4. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Even stripped as a utility trailer it is worth more than $150.... I have 6 and 3 on the way wheels so that isn't a problem to get it home.

But I literally just bought my first pup 16 days ago and have not even camped in it yet.....

It is about 120 miles so I will probably pass, but I have the room and the ability to fix just about anything on it......

5. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I had the opposite experience when we bought our HTT, though, not through craigslist. I kept looking on craigslist even after we already got ours and it just confirmed, to me, that the deal we found on a new "hold over model" was pretty good. What some people were asking for recent used models made me think that they must have paid pretty close to MSRP to ask what they were asking.

6. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I bought my pup a year ago on Craigslist. The pup was everything the previous owner said it was. Plus,found about $50 in tools,and a unused charcoal grill inside. I'm very happy,and would buy off from Craigslist again.

7. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I would buy it and fix what's wrong with it and resell/flip it

8. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Only you know how valuable your time is. Tough for any of us to help with that. So, whether it's worth it to buy, fix, and flip is a personal decision. Even stripping down to a utility trailer will take quite a bit of time, disposal of all the crap you tear off, and then some refurb to ensure it's a usable trailer. For me, there's no money there, because I value my time. For others, this would be a great opportunity.

I'd think an 80s PUP has no more value than $1,500 in great condition. To be conservative, I'd figure on $1,200. Start there and see how much money and time you'd have to add to the $150 price to refurb it. The difference is your margin.

Good luck.

9. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Very good points to consider!!

Another factor is if any parts are the same on my current pup then a tear down would give me plenty of spares or sell them off. The guy has not answered or returned my calls. I have plenty of time on my hands as I am a full time student and stay at home dad. I have the MGIB that pays for my school and pays me. So any extra funds are always nice!!

10. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Jun 8, 2008
    We bought our first camper on CL and I have bought and sold several items on CL (kayaks, tents, camper parts). Spend 150 and make a couple hundred or more and acquire some spare parts. If you have the room, I don't see a downside.

11. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    The lack of room is the issue now!!!

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would buy it for parts.

13. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    im thinking that the seller made a typo and is asking $1500 and not $150. I see all kinds of weird things like that on CL, sometimes deals are offered that are so low they just want you to reply so they can harvest some of your info like ph# or email.......

14. chrisarrick

chrisarrick New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    North Central Indiana
    I just bought mine on CL, you just need to know what you're looking at and not rely on the sellers word. Not that the seller may intentionally be lying to you, they just might not know. Mine was cheap, it has problems and I knew that going in. I researched and spent hours looking at different CL cities and kept my eye on prices. Finally found one out of season that had issues I could tackle. I agree that it could be stripped and used as a trailer or fixed up if youre a handy person. Its just up to you. I use CL often to buy and sell. just be careful.