October 2017 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm late starting the thread this month - we took ours camping at GCNP (South Rim) and had no internet, oand very limited access the couple of times we sought out WiFi. Nice to have that type of trip - for the most part.
    This was the first trip with the new tow vehicle, and it did a great job. The tension rod and curtain we added between the bed end and the table worked well. I now have another place to hang damp towels or rain wear (we didn't need that on this trip) - we miss having the lines we had under the back bunk on the pup. The curtain helped with blocking light when DH was up very early to start his backpack trip, but I still wake up with the footfalls and general disturbance. It should be more useful when I have to get up for a while at night - it will definitely block the light from my Kindle while I read.
    We arrived home yesterday afternoon, and have managed to unpack, clean, and repack both the TT and TV for my solo cross country trip beginning early Tuesday. DH fixed the screen door handle, so the screen door stays latched to the outer door when that's opened.
    The camera we installed on the TT, which helps track traffic right behind it, has been misbehaving. DH has fixed a couple of connections, and we hope he has it working. While it's not as necessary with the current TV, it's still nice to have a view directly behind the trailer.

2. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I'm sad to say. I winterized our pup & put it under cover for the winter. Not likely to move again till spring, but if the opportunity comes up, it'll take all of about 10 minutes to de-winterize. I wish I had a place I could park it under cover while open, there's several things I'd like to do to it during the 'down' time, but I don't want to pop it up & down, & up & down, and....well , you get the picture. I did remove the small canvas wall panel that sits in front of the door, it had a 3" vertical tear in it, so I removed it, patched it on both inner & outer sides with iron-on patches, & an am now waiting on a friend to sew around them. Managed to get patches that matched the original canvas almost perfectly, & after sewing should be good as new. Also ordered a BatteryMINDER for it, should be here by next Friday. I don't have a garage, so the batteries will have to stay in their boxes on the trailer for the winter, but with the BatteryMINDER, they should be fine.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

Jan 24, 2015
    We opened her up and did a few odds and ends this past weekend. I took down the curtains (I'm hoping to sew new ones over the winter) and took some measurements. I also took a small section of the canvas off. The top thingy, gasket???, needs fixed. We bought the pup in August and I have just a few mods I would like to do! Hubby sealed a couple of cracks in the storage lid (the weekend before) and this weekend he fixed the front bed slide. She is now all covered with a tarp. We are also starting the work of a permanent place to store her.

4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Having the Retro detailed professionally a couple of times a year seems to have paid off. I knew it looked good to me, but I've had compliments, and the comment that "it looks new" at least once each day that we've camped in the last couple of weeks. That's in spite of the decal on the rock shield fading, though that isn't visible in camp. (That's one of my upcoming projects, removing that decal and any other ones that are fading.)
    Screws in the hinges on the bed platform pulled out of the wood as I finished packing for this trip. Glad it happened at home, so DH could fix them, again. (He'd already moved them once, when he added bolts and screws to the platform last winter.) The hydraulic lifters for the platform didn't seem that stout until 2 out of the 3 hinges were no longer connected. The third hinge bent, so the platform didn't close all the way. Replacing the platform, probably with plywood, and adding a piano hinge to spread out the stress was already on the to-do list for someday - it will be done in the off-season this year.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    We camped as part of the 3rd Ontario Thanksgiving Gathering Rally, had a great time with old friends and new, Did the potluck turkey dinner on Sunday and then cleaned up the inside of the TT and packed all the towels, linens and pantry items up and winterized before pulling out of the campground. Next day the fridge was unpacked, cleaned out, battery was removed and placed in the shed, wheels covers installed for the winter nap..

6. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I’m putting new tires on, mid-trip. I saw the rising sun glinting off wire in one of the tires as I cranked up the stab behind it. Once I had rolled it off the Lynx blocks, that’s not visible, so conditions were just right.
    Tire place half a mile away, very helpful; best recommendation was the tires we’d decided to put on after this trip (Goodyear Endurance). I’m currently waiting at camp, since the tires are on the other side of the city at the distribution center. Not fun, but much better than a failure on the road

7. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    We went camping last weekend in Frontenac State Park in the central south east portion of MN along the Mississippi river. It rained Friday and most of Saturday, but cleared off by 4 on Saturday. We visited some wineries in the area and kicked around Red Wing MN, where they make Red Wing boots and have the world's largest boot on display. Shaq's got nothing on this boot.

Redwing Boot.jpg

Even though we live in MN, I have convinced the DW to try one more camping trip the last weekend of October. Close to home and if the weather looks especially bad, I will cancel. I plan to bring the necessary items to winterize the camper on site before we pack it up then it is parked until spring.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM
  8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Northeast PA
    After having our ntu pup home for to weeks, we stocked it with dishes, silverware, cookware, a broom and I made a piece of board that will fit into the sink to give more counter space if we have to cook inside. Also stocked with other of those items that can be left in the camper. Almost forgot the elertric heater and microwave oven. (Creature comforts are becoming more important as our bodies age!)
    Winterized the water pump and tank. No hot water to deal with and that's okay with us. :) One of the things that attraced us about our pup was the simplicity.
    Sadly, we folded the pup up today and are now working on a choice of keeping in our driveway or storing it at nearby campground.

9. rerspain

rerspain Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    I finally put my new led brake/turn signals on after having them sit in the house for 3 months.

10. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    4D1B4061-F623-4BAA-91C7-4FC779EEA1C2.jpeg I washed her in and outside, applied vinyl protection, winterized the plumbing, washed all the linens, checked underneath for openings, removed food and spices. After I was all done and ready to close her up a huge branch fell on her. She is now at the dealer[V]

11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Ouch! hope it did not do to much damage.

12. DJS12354

DJS12354 Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Northeast PA
    Ouch! At least you will get revenge when you burn it!

13. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Well some good news. I just found out for our guys weekend in November I will need to bring camper, for sleeping accommodations only, already have all water lines blown out. Cant wait 4 more weeks, 3 days camping is better than 3 days working. Woo Hoo!!!

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Indiana-Ohio leg of my trip to see family - microwave opened up, all the soft things inside (door curtain, vinyl table covers) flew out, along with the glass plate and rotating ring. The glass plate, which we used to take out every time until we got lazy, shattered. The carpet, curtain and my apron all had too much glass residue to feel safe trying to clean, so out they went. At camp, I did a quick sweep, then a wipe with glass cleaner and paper towels before leaving for the airport. We picked up a Swiffer with wet cloths and a new curtain on the way back, so it seems to all be cleaned, and safe for bare feet.

15. davido

davido Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Looks like your PUP was heroic enough to protect that branch from what could have been a painful fall.

Natureangel likes this.
  16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Purchased a new battery and getting ready to winterize it tomorrow. We have one more trip next month and then that's it for the season.

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Yesterday I started washing and waxing, finished today, worked on refinishing outside table
    Checked grocery stock in pantry and re-stocked, aired bedding, checked the stowage boxes. getting everything ready for a trip later this month

18. _chs_

_chs_ New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you for all of the inspiration to create more storage in the PUP. I was able to successfully complete three different modifications: interior shelving, exterior towel rack and an exterior wire shelf. Sadly, the camper is now in storage but it is ready for spring! All of the posts on this site and popupprincess were very helpful! Much appreciated!
    20171014_172515.jpg 20171014_131021.jpg
    20171014_130702.jpg

19. DJS12354

DJS12354 Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Northeast PA
    Disconnected the battery and, after double checking the charge, put it in the basement on a maintenance charger for the winter. Today my sister stopped by with our deliver of 3 two-inch memory foam mattress pads. Two for the pop-up and one for the guest room at my mother in laws. Expensive a a cost of $5.00 [:D] (My sister works in Quality Dept. at a local factory that produces the foam and can buy the pieces deemed as non-shippable)

20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Drained the low points, blew the water out of the lines, emptied the water tank and put antifreeze in the traps in case a cold snap hits before my next trip.