One last trip before crossing rainbow bridge

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by jmkay1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I took my dog Dusty on one last camping trip before his journey accross rainbow bridge. He loved going camping although he really wasn't able to enjoy much of it. He got to get loving from my parents and his best bud Bailey soon his battle with cancer will be over, and he will be running in the fields with my other dog whom I lost only a year prior without any more pain. I'm going to miss him.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I'm sorry for your loss. One thing I 've found with dogs is that they don't regret what they can't do, they enjoy what they can. Even if he couldn't run and hike and such, I am certain his camping trip was the most fun ever. Just being with his people and dog buddy ensured that.

jmkay1 likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This makes me sad :(

Glad you were able to have a good trip with him. My heart breaks for you though, as I know how hard it is to lose a furry friend. Hang in there and hopefully your can heal enough soon to adopt a new best friend

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We feel for your loss. Our dear Gromit is getting more arthritic, with each passing season. She'd already been on arthritic med's for a few years at 10, but it seems her joints aren't good for the long haul. Keep your chin up and glad you gave Dusty the care and love.

5. Kampus

Kampus Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Slate Belt, Pa
    [:(]

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    My heart goes out to you... glad Dusty was able to get out once more! I absolutely dread the day I have to face what you are going through. Hang in there!

7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Sorry to hear about your furry pal. It's so hard to see them struggle but I'm sure he was glad to get out with you.

8. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Jun 7, 2016
    There is a 'Story for pet lover's from Ann Landers, 1992. I do not know how to get over here to post. Perhaps someone can post it here. The story really hits home.
    Jmkay1, my heart goes out to you. As a dog / animal lover it is very hard thing to deal with. My girl will be 13 in Dec and we cherish everyday with her.

Please know that Dusty will be at peace and running with the big pack in heaven.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Glad you managed to get that last trip in with him.. We had to put ine of our camp loving beagles down about two weeks before the final trip of the season..

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    We went through this ourselves when we learned in April 2017 that our bud who had been suffering from diabetes since the beginning of 2016 also now had cancer. We managed several camping trips with him that spring and although he was a real trooper it was so sad knowing we'd soon have to give him up. All the professionals kept telling us it was better that we make the final decision on when and to not let it go so long that he'd suddenly begin to suffer. We followed that advice but it was a nightmare and I just can't get that day out of my head ... it's an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. To the OP, there's not much to say that can make you feel any better about this, other than you're not alone. Our thoughts are with you.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    As an update, our furboy came home today, well his ashes did.. Have them in an urn in the livingroom.. His fursister looked at them and whined a bit, then went off and snuggled into his old bed for a nap, she really hasn't gone into his bed since he left us. Guess she figures now that he is home, she can get back to normal..