Ontario Camping with Camper in the Fall

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Tyson-BKJC, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Tyson-BKJC

Tyson-BKJC New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Hi there,
    Any recommendations or tips when planning a fall camping trip (Thanksgiving weekend) with hubby and children? (5yo&7yo)
    I have a 06' Fleetwood Timberlake.
    TIA!

2. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Welcome! There is the Ontario Thankgiving Gathering at Oastler Lake PP. Snow is our Wagonmaster. There is one site Beachside (#15) avail as of 5:55pm today. Check HERE to reserve. Check also for the Potluck information.
    ( You're new, so FYI the coloured items are the links to those pages)

Tyson-BKJC likes this.
  3. weigh2go

weigh2go New Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Manitoba Canada
    We are in Manitoba, when fall camping we always have jackets, touques, mitts and longjohns, it gets cold at night, below zero. It's usually not bad during the day if you are moving around. It's the damp that is the worst, gets in your bones. We have down jackets we keep in the camper all year, down duvet and flannel sheets all year. Enjoy the peaceful campground!

Tyson-BKJC likes this.
  4. Tyson-BKJC

Tyson-BKJC New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thanks, I'll make sure I pack our winter coats :) May I ask what did during the day if the water is off limits? We plan to do some hiking and fishing but I'm not sure if that will occupy the whole day...

5. P8ntballer

P8ntballer New Member

Nov 22, 2014
    It's not really cold enough just yet but when we winter camp we run dual 20lb propanes and use reflectix insulation in the bed ends to retain the heat. Home Depot carries it and it looks like aluminum bubble wrap...we put it in the windows and over the bed ends and find it makes a difference on those really cold nights. If you're hooking into ac power one of those small ceramic heaters is a good backup in case your propane runs low or you have a problem. We found it helps to put a thermal throw in the foot of your sleeping bag to keep your feet warm.

6. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I started camping with my family when I was a year old. We never seemed at a loss re things to keep us occupied. Simple outdoor games of tag, Hide-and-Seek, soccer, and throwing a ball would be perfect for your kids. We looked forward to the occasional rainy day, when we'd play board games, charades, and cards. Of course, these can be played outdoors as well. We started with simple card games like Go Fish. I could play Euchre by the time I was 7. I am the youngest of 3, so I tended to learn the same games as my sister who is 2 years older.