OR - camping along the coast and at Crater Lake

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by pattimac00, Jun 12, 2011.

1. pattimac00

pattimac00 Live life to the fullest

Apr 11, 2011
    Can anyone suggest a couple campgrounds that are good places to stay, both at Crater Lake and along the Oregon coast. We are camping for 5 weeks and are going to hop all over Oregon so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [CP]

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Patti,
    We're only going to be gone 2 weeks, but we're going down the Oregon Coast, to the Redwoods and over to Crater Lake. :) We're going to be at Fort Stevens State Park, Beachside Recreational State Park, then to Crescent City, CA, and on to Crater lake before we loop back. When we go to Crater Lake, we're staying at a place I found online called Rocky Point RV Resort. I don't know anything about these campgrounds as we haven't been that way before, so hopefully they'll be great. The people I talked to at Rocky Point RV Resort were so nice and were great with a pop-up coming in so that was good. She said they're about 45 minutes from Crater Lake. You could probably get closer then that, unless they're full. I guess there's one just inside the park, but if I remember right, there was no facilities and I want water and electricity... and hot showers! [:D]

Vicki

3. Jaycofam

Jaycofam New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Beachside is a great campground, and it is located right along the beach, and has a lot of electric and non electric sites. Another campground that is just south of Beachside is Tillicum. It is also right along the beach, and has a few electrical sites, and many that are not electric. It is a Federal campground. Honeyman is located just south of Florence, and it is a nice campground, but you have to drive to the beach if you choose to camp there. Honeyman has a dune that is a lot of fun to climb, and a freshwater lake for swimming. They also have a lot of electric and non electric sites.
    When we go to Crater Lake, we usually camp at Diamond Lake, which is beautiful, but the sites there are without electricity. It is located about 6 miles south of Crater Lake's North entrance. Hope this helps you out a bit.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Why not camp right in Crater Lake NP at the Mazama CG? Check it out HERE.

5. EK41

EK41 Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Along the coast I have stayed at Sunset Bay St park. This is near Coos Bay. I really liked this park, its one of three state parks there together, but is the only one with camping. I also stayed at Harris Beach St Park. This park is on the north edge of Bookings. It was a nice park with lots of beaches. It is not a remote location, as it is on the edge of town and right along 101. Both campgrounds are protected from the ocean winds. I went to these places last October, not the best time to visit the Oregon coast, but I did enjoy the visit. Friends from Oregon tell me Newport is the best coastal area to visit. There are several state parks along 101. You can check them out here: http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/camping.shtml. To compare Oregon and California state parks. Oregon in $15 to $20 cheaper per night. Oregon parks also have free showers and most have electrical hookups.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I've stayed at Carl G. Washburne Memorial State Park near Florence a couple of times. The Haceta Head Lighthouse is there. The beach is fun to explore and the views are great -- there are some super photographic opportunities. There are also some seal caves nearby. You take an elevator down into the cliff to get to the viewing area for the caves, which are open to the sea.

The beaches in northern Oregon are generally more wide, open sand beaches (which I find boring) whereas in the south they have wilder territory with cliffs plummeting into the ocean, more like what you'd see at Big Sur in California.

If you are going to be in Crater Lake and then head for the coast be sure to check out the many beautiful places along the Rogue River.

7. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

May 31, 2011
    This is good to know. :)

8. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Mazama is a great CG and it is right at the base of the caldera just a few minutes from the lodge and rim.
    They do have a few electric sites but they are first come first serve, even if you have a reservation for one. I reserved an electric site yet did not get one.
    There is a gifty shop and a little market.
    Annie Creek runs along part of the CG and it is a lovely walk through eroded ash layers and pumice.
    You have got to go see The Pinnacles!
    There are a couple primitive CG's along the pinnacle road if you like that style of camping.

9. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

We've camped at Beverly Beach near Depot Bay more nights than I can remember. Close to the beach and nice, clean sites.

10. pattimac00

pattimac00 Live life to the fullest

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks, Vicki!

11. pglander

pglander New Member

Apr 4, 2012
    [TV] [PU]Cape Lookout State Park is a great place to camp as well. It is straight southwest of Tallimook where you can stock up on food and supplies

12. OutsideOne

OutsideOne New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    If you are going into the Redwoods for some day trips, we just did this in June. Stayed at Tillicum on the way, south of Newport -great little sites, right off the beach. We then stayed at Harris Beach State Park in Brookings. The Oregon sites are less expensive than going into California state sites. We drove into two different groves and did some coastal hiking as well in CA, but drove from Brookings.

As far as Crater Lake, going there this weekend, BUT staying at Diamond Lake Campground. Diamond Lake has great fishing and waterfront sites, just a short drive South to Crater Lake.

Have fun!

13. jonkquil

jonkquil Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Portland OR
    2 little words for anyone who camps at Mazama Campground - MOSQUITO REPELLENT - and lots of it !

14. Klautt

Klautt New Member

May 15, 2012
    Lot's of great info here, thanks everyone.

15. brittpdx

brittpdx New Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Lots of great ideas! South Beach is another OR coast campground that we enjoy. It's near Newport.

16. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Feb 9, 2013
    Sisters, OR
    Beverly Beach out side of Newport is real nice and South Beach on the other side of Newport is also a great site. Both have wind breaks, but Beverly Beach has nice big trees where south beach has beach type trees.

17. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    My wife has a penchant for finding the cheaper camp sites. A couple of years ago, we went to Crater Lake, and camped at Joe's Motel & Campground in Fort Klamath. They had full hookup iirc (at least water & power). Rather small camp sites though. They also have a central "community" fire pit, plus a building with restrooms, showers, and laundromat. Sadly, the town around it is/was rapidly declining as people go through the area less often.

Overall, our experience wasn't too bad, but I am a bit spoiled with where I camp, either in a campground or boondocking. I like a little elbow room.