Our Cross-Country Trip East to West

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by lovelymae, Aug 12, 2017.

1. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    I know many of you have accomplished a Cross-Country trip yourselves. We are finally headed back to California after 11 years out of the state! With my husband in the Navy this isn't our first cross-country move but it will be our first one we will actually taking our time on.

Over the last few months we have prepared for our 17 day journey across America through 15 states. We bought (and refurbished) an NTU 2003 Coleman Niagara PUP. We spent most of our weekends (and weekdays) tackling this project with the help of this community, along with wonderful neighbors, friends and family. We tore out the moldy shower and rusty stove, built a brand new dining table and kitchen countertop, repaired water damaged subfloor and walls, laid brand new vinyl wood flooring, and even tried our hand at faux shiplap! With a new coat of paint, handmade curtains, and a fancy new water heater, we are all set for this big adventure!
    Cabinetry_BA1.jpg
    Floors_BA1.jpg
    Galley_BA1.jpg
    Shiplap_BA1.jpg
    Shower_BA1.jpg
    Storage_Box_Wall_BA1.jpg
    Table_BA1.jpg
    We will start our journey in West Virginia, visiting Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, then make our way North to New York where we will get soaked at Niagara Falls. We will also be making a quick day trip to Canada, visiting the city of Toronto. Then, exploring the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a bucket list item we will be checking off in Cleveland, Ohio. Next we will enjoy the views of Lake Michigan from Indiana Dunes State Park and then again from the
    Chicago skyline while eating deep dish pizza. Our journey will take us through Nebraska, where we will check out Omaha with a close friend. Afterward, we will venture through Colorado, stopping off at the Rocky Mountain National Park and then tour Denver with friends from home. Things will really start to heat up as we venture into Utah, visiting Arches National Park in Moab, then again in Nevada for a quick stopover in Las Vegas before finally entering California!

mapimage.jpeg
    The Drive Map

Lodging:
    Americas Best Value Inn (Hotel)
    Four Mile Creek State Park (Campground)
    La Quinta Inn Cleveland- Independence (Hotel)
    Indiana Dunes State Park (Campground)
    Louisville SRA (Campground)
    Boyd Lake State Park (Campground)
    Moab Valley RV Resort & Campground (Campground)
    La Quinta Inn & Suites Las Vegas Airport North Convention (Hotel)
    Navy Lodge Lemoore (Hotel)

Travel/trip tips are always appreciated. Feel free to leave your [2C] here or follow along with our journey over on our blog, The Parker Travels! theparkertravels.blogspot.com

Thank you to all who have helped us get to where we are today. Time to roll out!
    [HY]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Looking good. I've only camped at Four Mile Creek SP once, but it was nice. Don't forget that there is Fort Niagara nearly. Last I knew, the fire hydrants in Youngstown were painted in colonial dress. (My college roommate lives in Youngstown. She and her family have been doing a lot of walking tours all over the area this year, the photos make me wish I could plan a trip that to some of them.)

lovelymae likes this.
  3. tdiller

tdiller Member

Aug 25, 2016
    If you can, get one of the national park passes. I have the "America The Beautiful" pass. it is good for entrance to all national parks and for discounts on camping at COE campgrounds. Also since you are military consider using some of the MWR campgrounds. There is one at Great Lakes near Chicago and most military installations. I've stayed at a couple of the MWR areas and they are well maintained and inexpensive.

4. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    We have the Military National Parks pass so its perfect, we also collect the cancellation stamps in the passport book they have. We love collecting the stamps and there are lots we will be collecting on this trip! Thanks for the info, we are already all booked and aren't staying at any military campgrounds this trip but we have in the past. They can be hit or miss though. The last one we stayed at here in Maryland was beautiful. But there is one in Lemoore, CA (where we are moving too) which is basically a parking lot, no shade, but it is super cheap haha!

5. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Nice trip planned. We just completed a trip out west from Maryland and back. Saw Bryce, Zion and grand canyon, we had a blast.
    You will enjoy 4 mile Creek in New York, we were there last year and liked it.

Tips, that it takes longer to get there than goggle maps thinks it does. Do not exceed the speed rating of the camper tires, and in the event of a flat, having the tools to change the camper tire including hazard signage. (Our first camper, we towed over 10,000 miles in two years before I realized we had no way to change the tire.)
    Have a great time!!!

lovelymae likes this.